When it comes to relaxing by the pool, privacy is often a top consideration. Nobody wants to feel like they are constantly being watched by neighbors or passersby. Fortunately, there are plenty of options available to create your own private oasis right in your backyard. From adding fences and walls to incorporating fast-growing plants, you have the opportunity to transform your poolside area into a cool and secluded retreat.
One of the easiest and most popular ways to add privacy to your pool area is by installing fences or walls. These structures can provide an instant barrier, giving you the privacy you desire. Plus, they can also serve as a backdrop for adding beauty to your pool area. You can opt for a traditional wooden fence or choose a more modern and sleek design.
If you have a green thumb, adding plants and creating a botanical garden around your pool is another great way to add privacy. Fast-growing plants, such as bamboo or evergreen trees, can quickly create a lush and secluded space. Not only will these plants give you the privacy you need, but they will also provide a beautiful and natural backdrop.
In addition to fences and plants, there are other creative ways to add privacy to your pool area. You can transform furniture into functional privacy screens by adding curtains or hanging plants. Pergolas and trellises are also great options for creating a private courtyard feel. These structures can provide shade and privacy while adding a touch of organic beauty to your pool area.
Another option to consider is adding rolling or screened windows to your pool area. These installations can help declutter the view and create a sense of privacy. Additionally, they can provide plenty of natural light and a cool breeze, making your poolside experience even more enjoyable.
In conclusion, creating a private paradise by the pool is easier than you may think. By adding fences, plants, furniture, and other creative elements, you can transform your pool area into a secluded and beautiful retreat. Whether you desire a botanical garden or a simple and modern space, there are plenty of options to suit your taste and needs. So go ahead and create your own private oasis – you’ll be enjoying a sense of serenity and tranquility in no time.
10 ways to screen your backyard pool
Having a backyard pool is always a great investment. Not only does it provide a cool spot to relax during the summer months, but it also adds beauty and value to your property. However, many pool owners desire some privacy and screening options to enhance their poolside experience. Here are 10 ways you can screen your backyard pool and create your own private oasis:
- Fences: One of the most popular options for screening a pool is to install a fence around the perimeter. Fences not only provide privacy, but they also help keep children and pets safe. There are many fence designs to choose from, including wood, metal, and glass.
- Garden Walls: Adding garden walls around your pool area can create a beautiful organic backdrop. You can use climbing plants to cover the walls and create a green screen. This not only adds privacy but also enhances the aesthetics of your pool surroundings.
- Canopy or Pergola: Installing a canopy or pergola over your pool area can provide shade and privacy. You can choose from different materials such as wood or metal, and even add curtains or drapes for added privacy.
- Rollac Awnings: If you want a more flexible screening option, consider installing rollac awnings. These retractable screens can be easily opened or closed to provide the desired level of privacy and shade for your pool area.
- Privacy Hedges: Planting privacy hedges around your pool area is another great way to create a natural screen. Choose fast-growing plants such as Leyland cypress or arborvitae to provide an instant privacy screen.
- Outdoor Curtains: Hanging outdoor curtains around your pool area can instantly create a private and intimate atmosphere. You can choose from a variety of colors and patterns to match your poolside design.
- Water Features: Adding water features such as fountains or waterfalls can not only create a calming ambiance but also help to mask the sound from your pool area and provide some privacy.
- Outdoor Privacy Screens: There are many portable outdoor privacy screen options available. These screens can be easily moved and positioned according to your needs, providing instant privacy and shade when desired.
- Decluttering and Landscaping: Sometimes, creating privacy around your pool area can be as simple as decluttering and landscaping your yard. Clearing out any unnecessary items and adding plants or trees in strategic locations can help create a more private pool space.
- Professional Design: If you’re not sure which screening option best suits your needs, hiring a professional pool designer can help. They will assess your pool area and surroundings and provide you with plenty of ideas and options to create a private oasis.
Whether you choose fences, walls, or plants, creating privacy around your pool area can turn it into a beautiful and serene space. With these 10 screening options, you’ll have the opportunity to enjoy your pool while still maintaining the privacy and tranquility you desire.
1 Divide the space with a feature fireplace
If you are looking for a way to create privacy around your pool, dividing the space with a feature fireplace is a great option. Not only does it provide a stunning focal point, but it also adds warmth and coziness to your pool area.
By placing a fireplace against one wall of your pool area, you can create a barrier that separates the pool from the rest of your backyard. This helps to define the pool area and make it feel more private and secluded.
There are many different fireplace designs to choose from, so you can find one that suits your personal style and complements your pool area. Whether you prefer a traditional stone fireplace or a modern gas fireplace, there is a design that will enhance the overall aesthetic of your pool space.
A feature fireplace also provides additional seating options around your pool. You can add a bench or some comfortable chairs next to the fireplace, creating a cozy seating area where you can relax and enjoy the view.
In addition to dividing the space and providing extra seating, a feature fireplace can also serve as a backdrop for your pool landscape. You can use the wall behind the fireplace to hang plants or install a trellis for climbing vines. This creates a lush and green backdrop that adds to the overall ambiance of your pool area.
Furthermore, a feature fireplace can be screened with fences, pergolas, or awnings to create even more privacy. This allows you to enjoy your pool without the prying eyes of your neighbors.
So, if you desire a private and cozy pool area, consider dividing the space with a feature fireplace. Not only will it transform your pool area into a private paradise, but it will also provide a stunning focal point that will enhance your overall pool design.
2 Surround your pool with a fence
When it comes to creating privacy for your pool, one of the most popular options is to surround it with a fence. A fence gives a sense of security and privacy, providing a barrier between your pool and the outside world. Not only does it give you privacy, but it can also add beauty and style to your pool area.
A fence can help to declutter your pool area, creating a clean and organized space. It can also provide a safe and secure environment for children and pets, keeping them away from the pool when unsupervised.
There are many different types of fences you can choose from, depending on your personal style and the look you want to achieve. Some popular options include wood, metal, vinyl, and chain link fences.
If you’re looking for a more natural and organic look, you can also consider using plants to create a living fence. Konrad, an expert in pool landscaping, suggests using plants like bamboo, palms, and ferns to create a lush and green backdrop for your pool area.
For those who want a more modern and minimalist look, glass panels or metal screens can be used as a fence. These materials provide a sleek and contemporary look, while still giving you the privacy you desire.
When creating your pool fence, be sure to check with your local regulations and building codes to ensure that you are following the rules and regulations set by your neighborhood and city. Your neighbors will thank you for it!
There are also some innovative options available, such as Rollac, a company that specializes in rolling pool fences. These fences can be rolled up and out of sight when not in use, giving you the opportunity to enjoy an open and private pool area.
If you have a patio or a garden area next to your pool, you can also use the fence as a backdrop for a variety of plants and flowers. Hanging pots, climbing plants, and even a small vegetable garden can be added to the fence to add beauty and functionality to your pool area.
By surrounding your pool with a fence, you not only create a private and secure space, but you also add beauty and style to your pool area. Whether you choose a traditional wooden fence or a sleek modern design, a fence is a great way to enhance your pool experience and create your own private paradise.
3 Opt for a pretty parasol or two
If you want to create a private and stylish oasis around your pool, a pretty parasol is a great option. Not only will it help provide shade on those hot summer days, but it can also add a touch of elegance to your outdoor space.
There are many different styles and designs of parasols to choose from, so you can easily find one that fits your desired aesthetic. Whether you prefer a classic canopy or a modern and colorful design, a parasol can enhance the beauty of your poolside.
A parasol can be especially helpful if you have neighbors or windows that overlook your pool area. By adding a parasol, you can create a sense of privacy and seclusion, while still enjoying the cool and refreshing atmosphere of your pool.
In addition to providing shade and privacy, a parasol can also be a functional piece of furniture. You can place a bench or some comfortable chairs beneath the parasol, creating a cozy spot to relax and unwind.
When choosing a parasol, consider the size and shape of your pool area. If you have a small space, a smaller parasol might work best. On the other hand, if you have a large pool area, you may want to opt for a larger parasol or even multiple parasols to provide enough shade for everyone.
Another option to consider is a roller parasol, which can be easily rolled out or retracted as needed. This allows you to adjust the amount of shade you have throughout the day, depending on the position of the sun.
Furthermore, you can get creative with your parasol placement and use it as a decorative element in your pool landscape. For example, you can place potted plants around the base of the parasol to add a touch of greenery and organic beauty to your space.
To create a truly unique and personalized pool paradise, you can also incorporate other ideas, such as adding climbing plants or installing pergolas. These additions can transform your pool area into a botanical haven, while keeping the privacy and beauty intact.
In conclusion, opting for a pretty parasol or two can greatly enhance the privacy and aesthetic appeal of your pool area. Whether you choose a classic canopy or a modern design, a parasol can provide shade, privacy, and a touch of elegance. So, next time you’re looking to create your own private paradise, don’t forget to consider the beauty and functionality of a parasol.
4 Cover your pool patio with a pergola
Another great way to add privacy and shade to your pool patio is by covering it with a pergola. Pergolas provide overhead coverage that helps to shield you from the sun’s rays, while also creating a beautiful and inviting atmosphere.
By adding a pergola to your poolside, you can create a sense of privacy and seclusion that is perfect for relaxing and enjoying time with family and friends. The pergola can help define the space and make it feel like a retreat from the surrounding areas.
There are several ways to incorporate a pergola into your pool patio design. You can choose to have a freestanding pergola that is positioned above your patio, or you can attach it to an existing structure, such as your house or a fence.
When selecting a pergola, consider the style and color that will best match your pool patio and its surroundings. Pergolas come in a variety of materials such as wood, vinyl, and metal, and can be customized to fit your specific needs and desires.
In addition to providing shade and privacy, pergolas offer the opportunity for adding greenery to your pool patio. You can hang pots of plants from the pergola beams or even train climbing vines to grow up and around the structure. This not only adds beauty to the pergola, but also helps to create a lush and cool environment.
If you’re looking for even more shade, you can consider adding a canopy to your pergola. This can be made of fabric or a louvered system that allows you to control the amount of sun and shade that enters your patio area.
To create a truly private and intimate space, you can also opt for a screened pergola. This type of pergola has screens that can be rolled down to enclose the area, providing protection from insects and prying eyes.
Overall, a pergola is a versatile and beautiful addition to any pool patio. Whether you want to create a cozy courtyard or a grand outdoor living space, a pergola can help transform your pool area into a private paradise.
5 Add a cooling canopy to a poolside bench
One of the best ways to create a private oasis around your pool is by adding a cooling canopy to a poolside bench. Not only will it provide shade on hot summer days, but it will also give you a cozy spot to relax and enjoy your surroundings.
Of course, a pergola or patio umbrella can provide shade too, but a cooling canopy offers several advantages. For one, it can be easily moved or adjusted to provide shade where you need it most. Plus, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to get creative with the design and choose a canopy that complements your landscape.
There are a few different options to consider when adding a canopy to your poolside bench. One popular choice is to use awnings or overhead screens that can be attached to the walls or posts of your pergola. These can be made from organic materials like bamboo or fabric for a more botanical and natural look.
If you have windows or walls surrounding your pool area, you can also consider adding climbing plants like ivy or vines to provide natural shade. Not only will this add beauty to your pool area, but it will also offer privacy by blocking the view from your neighbors.
Another option is to create shade with portable furniture. Placing large potted plants or rolling planters with tall leafy green plants like palms or ferns can help create shade and privacy around your poolside bench.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even design your own custom canopy. There are many professional landscape designers who specialize in creating unique and personalized shade structures for poolside areas. They can help you incorporate your desired shade scheme into your existing landscape design.
No matter which route you choose, adding a cooling canopy to your poolside bench is a great way to create a private and cool space. It will not only enhance the beauty of your pool area but also provide a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.
So, if you’re looking for ways to make your pool area more private and enjoyable, consider adding a cooling canopy to your poolside bench. You’ll love the shade and privacy it provides, and your poolside oasis will become your own private paradise.
6 Cocoon your pool with tropical plants
Adding lush, tropical plants around your pool can create a private oasis that feels like a secluded paradise. Not only do they provide a natural screen for privacy, but they also add a touch of beauty and create a serene ambiance.
To create a tropical environment around your pool, you can use a variety of plants in different shapes, sizes, and colors. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Choose plants that are fast-growing and can withstand the poolside conditions, such as heat and humidity.
- Opt for plants with large, bold leaves or colorful flowers to create a striking visual impact.
- Consider placing plants in beautiful pots or planters to give your pool area an extra touch of elegance.
- Use plants to create privacy screens, especially if you have neighboring properties or areas you’d like to shield from view.
- Create a botanical oasis by incorporating a bench or lounge area surrounded by tropical plants.
- If space allows, you can also consider creating a small organic garden within your pool area, giving you a fresh supply of herbs or vegetables.
When choosing plants, it’s important to consider their maintenance needs. Some tropical plants require plenty of water and sunlight, while others prefer shade. Make sure to research the specific care requirements of the plants you’re considering.
A professional landscaper or garden designer can also assist you in selecting the right plants and creating a design that perfectly complements your pool area. They can help you with ideas on where to place the plants, which plants work best together, and how to create a cohesive and visually appealing look.
By cocooning your pool with tropical plants, you can transform your pool area into a private retreat and enjoy the beauty of nature while relaxing poolside. So, try out these ideas and create your own tropical paradise!
7 Build up the surrounding pool landscape
Creating a private oasis around your pool is essential if you want to enjoy the outdoor life without feeling like you’re on display for the whole neighborhood. Luckily, there are plenty of options to give you the pool privacy you desire. Whether you want to block the view from above or from the side, you’ll find ideas to suit your needs.
Add a privacy wall or fence
One of the most common ways to create privacy around your pool is by adding a privacy wall or fence. This can be made from various materials, such as wood, stone, or metal. Choose a design that complements your pool and the surrounding landscape. A fence not only adds privacy but can also enhance the overall beauty of your pool area.
Screen your pool with plants
Adding greenery around your pool is a great way to create a natural privacy screen. You can use tall plants or trees to block the view from neighboring properties or hanging plants for a more intimate feel. Consider fast-growing options, such as climbing vines or bamboo, to quickly create a lush backdrop.
Use awnings or pergolas
By adding overhead structures like awnings or pergolas, you can create a sense of enclosure and privacy in your pool area. These structures not only provide shade but can also be decorated with curtains or screens for added privacy. Consider employing a professional to design and build a beautiful pergola that fits your style.
Create a courtyard feel
Build a courtyard around your pool to create a private and intimate space. Surround the pool with walls or even tall hedges to create a secluded oasis. Add comfortable seating options like benches or outdoor furniture to make it a cozy retreat.
Add a water feature
Adding a water feature, such as a fountain or a waterfall, not only adds beauty to your pool but also helps to create a tranquil and private atmosphere. The sound of flowing water can help to drown out any unwanted noise and provide a sense of calm.
Install privacy screens or curtains
For a more flexible solution, consider installing privacy screens or retractable curtains around your pool area. These can be easily adjusted to provide as much or as little privacy as you desire.
Declutter and enhance your surroundings
Sometimes the best way to create a private pool landscape is by decluttering and enhancing the existing surroundings. Remove any unnecessary items or objects that distract from the natural beauty of your pool area. Consider adding potted plants or botanical elements to add a touch of greenery and enhance the overall aesthetics.
When it comes to creating a private paradise around your pool, there are endless possibilities. Whether you choose to build walls, screen with plants, or add overhead structures, the key is to create a space that reflects your style and provides the privacy you desire. With these ideas in mind, you’ll be on your way to enjoying your pool in peace.
8 Sink your pool into its own private courtyard
Creating a private courtyard around your pool can be a great way to enhance its overall appeal and provide a peaceful and secluded space for relaxation. By sinking your pool into its own private courtyard, you can create a botanical oasis that is not only visually stunning, but also offers a sense of privacy.
One of the key benefits of sinking your pool into its own private courtyard is that it can offer a secluded space that is separate from the rest of your yard. This allows you to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of your pool without being disturbed by the activities happening in other areas of your yard.
To create this private courtyard, you’ll need to choose the right location for your pool. Look for a spot that is surrounded by green gardens or rolling landscapes, as this will provide a beautiful backdrop for your pool. You can also add pots of plants and flowers to further enhance the organic feel of the space.
Adding pergolas or a canopy overhead can provide some much-needed shade, while also adding a touch of elegance to the design. This can also help to define the boundaries of your private courtyard and provide a sense of enclosure.
When it comes to privacy, there are plenty of options to choose from. You can opt for tall fences or screens on one side of the pool, which will block the view from prying eyes. Alternatively, you can use climbing plants or vines to create a natural screen that will offer privacy while still allowing for a pleasant view.
Decluttering the space around your pool can also go a long way in creating a more private and serene atmosphere. Remove any unnecessary furniture or accessories, and keep the area clean and well-maintained.
A professional landscape designer, such as Dustin or Shaun, can help you create a private courtyard that suits your individual needs and preferences. They can provide guidance on the best plants, furniture, and layout options to achieve the desired look and feel for your poolside oasis.
Overall, sinking your pool into its own private courtyard is a wonderful opportunity to create a secluded and beautiful space for relaxation and enjoyment. With the right design and landscaping choices, you can transform your pool area into a private paradise that will always be a cool and inviting spot to unwind.
9 Grow a hedge as a gloriously green backdrop
One of the best ways to create privacy around your pool is by growing a hedge as a backdrop. Hedges provide a natural and beautiful barrier between your pool area and the surrounding landscape. They can be used to block sightlines, create shade, and add a touch of greenery to your outdoor space.
Here are some ideas for growing a hedge as a backdrop:
- Choose the right type of hedge for your pool area. Consider factors such as height, density, and maintenance requirements.
- Position your hedge strategically to create maximum privacy. Place it along the perimeter of your pool or in areas where you want to block the view.
- Combine your hedge with other privacy elements such as furniture, canopies, or pergolas. This will not only enhance the privacy, but also create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- When choosing the plants for your hedge, consider their growth rate and how well they will fit into your landscape. Opt for evergreen plants to maintain privacy throughout the year.
- If you want to create a more secluded and intimate pool area, consider using a screened hedge system. This will provide an additional layer of privacy while still allowing airflow and natural light.
- Don’t forget to take care of your hedge. Regular pruning, watering, and fertilizing will ensure that it stays healthy and vibrant.
- Add some variety to your hedge by incorporating different types of plants. Mix tall and short plants, different textures, and various shades of green to create a visually interesting backdrop.
- Consider using pots or window boxes to add even more greenery to your pool area. This will not only enhance the privacy, but also create a more botanical and organic feel.
- Lastly, don’t be afraid to get creative with your hedge. Experiment with different shapes, patterns, or even add some climbing plants to create a unique and eye-catching display.
No matter what type of pool privacy ideas you decide to implement, growing a hedge as a gloriously green backdrop is sure to transform your outdoor space into a beautiful oasis. Plus, it’s a natural and environmentally-friendly way to keep your pool area private from prying eyes.
So, next time you’re considering ways to enhance your pool privacy, remember to think outside the box and take advantage of the beauty and benefits that hedges can offer.
10 Add a rustic stone wall
Adding a rustic stone wall to your pool area can not only provide privacy, but also enhance the overall aesthetic appeal. A stone wall creates a natural and organic backdrop that blends seamlessly with the green surroundings.
There are several options when it comes to creating a stone wall for your pool. You can hire a professional to build a custom wall that fits your specific design ideas, or you can take a DIY approach and build it yourself. Either way, a stone wall is sure to transform your pool area into a private paradise.
If you’re considering adding a stone wall to your pool area, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use natural, rustic stones to create a charming and timeless look.
- Consider incorporating a built-in bench into the stone wall design. This not only adds functionality, but also provides a cozy spot to relax and enjoy the pool view.
- Add climbing plants or vines to the stone wall to enhance its beauty and create a lush, green backdrop.
- Place some outdoor furniture, such as a table and chairs, near the stone wall to create a comfortable and inviting seating area.
- Consider installing awnings or a canopy above the pool area to provide shade and protection from the sun.
- Plant fast-growing and low-maintenance plants around the stone wall to create a stunning garden and landscape.
- Screen the pool area with a screened patio to keep bugs and debris out, especially if you live in an area with a lot of pests.
- Use pale or light-colored stones for the wall to create a cool and refreshing atmosphere.
- Add overhead lighting to the stone wall to create a magical ambiance in the evenings.
- Consider installing Rollac roll shutters on windows or plots near the stone wall to provide additional privacy and security.
With these ideas, you’ll be able to create a beautiful poolside retreat that not only gives you privacy, but also enhances the beauty and tranquility of your yard. So, roll up your sleeves and get ready to transform your pool area into a private paradise!