When it comes to the entrance of a home, having a well-organized and functional entryway is essential. It is the first area guests see when they walk in, and it sets the tone for the rest of the house. Whether you have a large entryway or a smaller area, there are ways to make the most of your space.
One of the best ways to optimize your entryway is by investing in a built-in closet. This feature allows you to have a designated place for coats, bags, and shoes, keeping them out of sight and creating a clutter-free environment. Hooks on the walls or inside the closet are also useful for hanging coats and hats, while a simple bench or seating area can provide a spot for putting on and taking off shoes.
In terms of design, a bold color scheme can create a high-impact entrance. Consider painting the walls a strong color or using vibrant accent pieces to add personality to the space. Balance out the boldness by keeping the rest of the area calm and neutral. Additionally, privacy can be achieved by installing curtains or a cupboard door to close off the entryway when needed.
Another tip for making the most of your entrance is to create a functional storage system. Use baskets or bins to keep smaller items organized, and label them for easy access. Consider utilizing the space under the stairs if you have them, by building in drawers or shelves. This will provide additional storage without taking up valuable floor space.
Overall, making the most of your entryway means creating a space that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing. By implementing these tips, your entrance will be a calm and clutter-free area that will welcome both you and your guests into your home.
Find more useful tips on home design and organization in our newsletter. Sign up today to receive the best tips and tricks straight to your inbox!
Entryway closet ideas – 10 tips for a clutter-free entrance
When it comes to creating a clutter-free and inviting entrance to your home, a well-organized entryway closet is essential. By striking a balance between function and style, you can have a welcoming space that not only provides storage for coats, shoes, and other items but also creates a sense of privacy for your home.
Here are 10 tips for making the most of your entryway closet:
- Invest in a built-in closet: Having a built-in closet allows for optimal storage and organization. This means you’ll have designated areas for coats, shoes, and accessories.
- Make use of hooks: Hooks are a simple and efficient way to hang coats, bags, and hats. Install hooks on the back wall of the closet for easy access.
- Create a seating area: If space allows, include a bench or some seating inside the closet. This will provide a place to sit while putting on shoes and can also serve as additional storage.
- Use colors wisely: Consider using calming colors like whites, neutrals, or pastels for the walls of your entryway closet. This will create a sense of tranquility and make the space feel more open and welcoming.
- Organize with baskets and bins: Use baskets and bins to corral smaller items like scarves, gloves, and accessories. This will help keep everything visible and easily accessible.
- Maximize vertical space: Take advantage of the height of your closet by installing shelves or hanging organizers. This will help make the most of the available space and keep items off the floor.
- Keep a shoe cupboard: Shoes can easily create clutter, so it’s a good idea to have a dedicated shoe cupboard or rack in your entryway closet. This will keep them organized and out of the way.
- Add a feature wall: Consider painting one wall of the entryway closet with a bold color or adding wallpaper to create visual interest. This will make the space feel more unique and inviting.
- Keep it simple: Avoid overcrowding the closet with too many decorations or unnecessary items. A clutter-free space will create a calm and peaceful feeling when you walk in the door.
- Work with a designer: If you’re having a hard time creating a functional and stylish entryway closet, consider working with a designer who can help you maximize the space and achieve the look you desire.
By following these 10 tips, you can create a clutter-free and organized entryway closet that will not only meet your storage needs but also make a great first impression on guests.
1 Make use of every inch
When it comes to entryway closet ideas, making the most of your space is essential. You need to find a scheme that works for your needs and makes the best use of the available space.
A good designer will be able to help you with this, but there are also some simple tips you can follow to create an entryway that is both functional and stylish.
- Use hooks and shelves to make the most of the vertical space in your entryway. This will help to keep coats, bags, and other essentials off the floor and out of the way.
- Consider adding a built-in cupboard or closet to provide extra storage for shoes, hats, and seasonal items.
Create a seating area
- Having a bench or seating area in your entryway is not only useful, but it will also create a welcoming and comfortable space for guests.
- Invest in a good bench that provides storage underneath for shoes and other items.
Paint the walls
- The color scheme you choose for your entryway can have a big impact on the overall feel of your home.
- Paint the walls in a calm and neutral color to create a sense of balance and calm.
- If you’re feeling bold, you can also use brighter colors to create a more vibrant and energetic entrance.
Keep it clutter-free
- One of the biggest challenges of an entryway is keeping it clutter-free.
- Use baskets, bins, and other storage solutions to keep smaller items tucked away and out of sight.
- Having a clear policy for shoes and coats can also help to keep clutter at bay.
Make a feature of the stairs
- If your entryway is located near a staircase, consider making it a feature of the space.
- Paint the stairs a different color or add a runner to make them stand out.
By following these tips, you can create an entryway that is not only functional but also stylish and welcoming. It will make the best use of your space and provide a calm and inviting entrance to your home.
2 Invest in built-in closets for awkward spaces
Homes come in all shapes and sizes, and sometimes that means having awkward spaces in your entryway that don’t quite fit traditional closet solutions. But don’t fret! Investing in built-in closets is a smart policy to make the most of these tricky areas.
Having built-in closets means you can customize the storage features to fit your specific needs. For example, if you have a smaller entryway, you can opt for a built-in closet that has drawers and shelves to keep clutter away. On the other hand, if you have a larger area, you might want to include a seating bench with storage underneath for shoes and other items.
One of the best features of built-in closets is that they can be designed to blend seamlessly with the rest of your entryway’s decor. You can choose colors and materials that match your existing scheme, creating a cohesive and balanced look. For example, if your entryway has bold colors on the walls, you can choose a built-in closet that stands out in a complementary color.
In terms of functionality, built-in closets are hard to beat. They provide ample storage space for all your coats, bags, and other belongings. The high shelves can be used to store items that are used less frequently, while the lower cupboards can be used for everyday items. Plus, having a closet means you can close the door and create a feeling of privacy and calm in your entryway.
Another benefit of built-in closets is that they can be designed specifically for your needs. If you have a lot of shoes, you can include shoe racks or hooks inside the closet to keep them organized and out of the way. If you have a collection of hats, you can add hooks or shelves just for them. The possibilities are endless!
When it comes to design, a built-in closet is a good investment. It adds a sense of sophistication to your entryway and creates a more organized and clutter-free space. Plus, it can be a real time-saver when you’re trying to get out of the house in a hurry.
So, if you have an awkward space in your entryway that needs some extra storage, consider investing in a built-in closet. It will not only make your entrance more functional, but it will also add a touch of style to your home.
3 Opt for a mix of storage options
When it comes to entryway closets, having a variety of storage options is a great way to create an organized and functional space. By incorporating different features and storage solutions, you can make the most of your entrance and keep it clutter-free.
One useful feature to consider is a built-in bench with storage. This not only provides seating for putting on and taking off shoes, but also offers hidden storage beneath. You can choose a bench that matches the color scheme of your entryway, or add a bold pop of color to make a statement.
Another option is to invest in a set of hooks or a coat rack. These can be mounted on the wall or attached to the inside of the closet door, providing a convenient place to hang hats, coats, and bags. Hooks and racks come in a variety of styles and designs, so you can find ones that fit your personal taste and the overall aesthetic of your home.
If you have a smaller entryway, a simple solution like a shoe cupboard or a shoe rack can work wonders. These compact storage options will keep your shoes organized and out of the way, making the space feel less cluttered.
To create a calm and welcoming entryway, consider adding a few decorative pieces. A vase of flowers or a small plant can add a touch of nature, while a piece of artwork or a mirror can make the space feel larger and more inviting.
When choosing storage options for your entryway closet, think about the specific needs of your household. Do you have a lot of shoes to store? Do you often have guests who need a place to hang their coats? Understanding these needs will help you choose the best storage solutions for your space.
In terms of colors, it’s best to choose a color scheme that coordinates with the rest of your home. This will create a sense of unity and flow between the entryway and the rest of the house. If you want to make a statement and have a bit of fun with your entryway, you can always go for a bold accent wall or paint the inside of the closet a different color.
By making the most of your entryway closet and creating a clutter-free area, you can ensure that your entrance is both functional and visually pleasing. Having a well-organized entryway will make coming home a more enjoyable experience and help you start your day on the right foot.
4 Go for a truly bespoke entryway closet
When it comes to creating a functional entryway closet, one size definitely does not fit all. That’s why it’s worth considering a bespoke design that is tailored to your specific needs and preferences. By investing a little extra time and effort into making your entryway closet truly custom, you can create a space that is not only practical but also aesthetically pleasing.
One of the main advantages of a bespoke entryway closet is that it allows you to maximize storage space. You can design the closet to accommodate all your belongings, from shoes and work essentials to smaller items like keys and umbrellas. By incorporating features such as shelves, hooks, and drawers, you can create a clutter-free environment that keeps everything organized and easily accessible.
A bespoke entryway closet also gives you the opportunity to add some unique design elements. For example, you can choose a statement piece of furniture, such as a bench or seating area, that not only provides practicality but also adds visual interest to the space. You can also play with colors and paint the closet walls in a bold or calming hue that complements the overall color scheme of your home.
Having a bespoke entryway closet means that you can customize it to fit the available space in your entrance area. Whether you have a large hallway or a small foyer, a professional designer can help you create a closet that maximizes the available space while maintaining a sense of balance and harmony. This way, your entryway closet will stand out as a functional and stylish feature of your home, rather than being tucked away and hidden.
Another benefit of a bespoke entryway closet is that it can be designed to match the style and aesthetic of your home. While some houses have a traditional and classic feel, others may have a more modern and contemporary design. By working with a designer, you can choose the materials, finishes, and hardware that best complement the existing style of your home, creating a cohesive and polished look.
In terms of privacy, a bespoke entryway closet can provide a sense of separation between the entrance area and the rest of the house. This can be particularly useful if you have an open-concept layout where the entrance is directly connected to the living or kitchen area. By incorporating doors or a cupboard design, you can create a physical barrier that offers privacy and keeps clutter out of view.
Overall, investing in a bespoke entryway closet is a good way to make the most of your entrance area. By customizing the closet to fit your specific needs and preferences, you can create a functional and organized space that enhances the overall look and feel of your home. So, take the time to carefully plan and design your entryway closet, and enjoy the benefits of having a clutter-free and personalized space.
5 Make the most of existing features
When it comes to entryway closet ideas, it’s important to work with what you have. Many homes already have built-in closets near the entrance, so why not make the most of this existing feature?
If your closet is on the smaller side, you’ll need to be clever with your storage scheme. Adding hooks to the inside of the closet door is a simple and useful way to hang coats and bags, keeping them out of sight. You can also install shelves or a small bench for storing shoes.
For larger closets, you have more options to play with. Consider adding a seating area or a built-in bench where you can put on and take off shoes. This creates a welcoming feeling and is also practical for busy households.
Don’t be afraid to get creative with colors and paint. A bold color on the walls of your closet, or even just on the inside of the door, can make a big statement. It’s a small area, so you can afford to be a little more daring with your color choices.
Another feature to consider is privacy. If your entryway is visible from other areas of the home, you may want to invest in a curtain or cupboard door that can be closed when needed. This allows you to keep the entryway clutter-free and maintain a sense of privacy in your home.
6 Go high with your cabinetry
When it comes to entryway closets, one of the best ways to maximize storage space is by taking advantage of the vertical space. This means going high with your cabinetry.
By installing cabinets and shelves that go all the way up to the ceiling, you can create additional storage space for items that are not frequently used. This is especially useful in smaller entryways where space is limited.
Having high cabinetry also means that you can keep clutter away from the entrance and create a more organized and clutter-free environment. You can use the higher shelves to store items such as extra blankets, seasonal clothing, or even shoes that are only worn occasionally.
In terms of design, having high cabinetry can also create a sense of depth and make the entryway feel larger. By using a bold paint color or a contrasting color scheme on the cabinet doors, you can create a visually interesting feature that draws the eye up and adds character to the space.
Additionally, having high cabinetry can help balance out the space. If you have a tall or double-height entryway with high ceilings, having cabinets that go all the way up will create a sense of proportion and prevent the space from feeling empty or unfinished.
Another benefit of high cabinetry is that it allows you to invest in a built-in bench or seating area. By having cabinets on one side and a bench or seating area on the other, you can create a functional and stylish entryway that also provides a place to sit and put on or take off shoes.
If you have space above the cabinets, you can also install hooks or racks for hanging coats, hats, or bags. This will make it easy to grab these items on the way out and keep them off the floor or other surfaces.
In conclusion, going high with your cabinetry in the entryway is a smart and practical design choice. It offers extra storage space, creates a visually appealing feature, and helps to keep the entrance clutter-free and organized. Whether you choose to install cabinets all the way up to the ceiling or use a combination of cabinets and open shelves, this feature will enhance the functionality and aesthetic of your entryway.
7 Paint your entryway closet in a bold color
When it comes to entryway closets, the walls are often overlooked and left simple and plain. However, painting the walls of your entryway closet in a bold color can be a good way to make the area stand out and create a more interesting entrance.
Having a bold color on the walls of your entryway closet will not only work as a focal point but also create a calm and welcoming atmosphere. It will add a pop of color that will catch your eye as soon as you enter the house.
If your entryway is smaller, investing in a bold paint color for the closet walls can be a great way to make it feel less cramped. The color will draw attention away from the size of the space and add a touch of personality.
When choosing a bold color for your entryway closet, it’s important to strike a balance. You want to choose a color that will make a statement without being too overwhelming. Bold colors like red, orange, or deep blue can work well, but be sure to consider the overall color scheme of your entryway to ensure it all works together.
In terms of the closet itself, having a bold color on the walls means you can keep the rest of the space fairly simple. You can invest in some built-in hooks or a bench with storage to create a clutter-free and functional area. These pieces can be in a neutral color that complements the bold paint color.
In addition to being visually appealing, a bold paint color on the walls of your entryway closet can also serve as a useful feature. It can help define the space and create a sense of privacy, especially if your entryway is close to busy areas such as the kitchen or living room.
Overall, painting the walls of your entryway closet in a bold color is an essential step in making the most of your entrance. It adds a touch of personality, creates visual interest, and helps define the space. So why not take the plunge and give your entryway closet a fresh coat of paint?
8 Create a two-tone scheme
One way to add visual interest and style to your entryway closet is by creating a two-tone color scheme. This involves using two complementary colors on the walls, furniture, or storage pieces in the space.
Having a two-tone scheme can make your entryway feel more dynamic and inviting. It can also help to create a sense of balance and harmony in the space, especially if you have a smaller entrance area.
To create a two-tone scheme, start by choosing two colors that work well together. This could be a bold color paired with a neutral tone, or two contrasting colors that complement each other. Consider the overall color palette of your home and the feeling you want to create in your entryway.
Once you’ve chosen your colors, you can use paint to apply them to the walls, or invest in furniture or storage pieces that feature the two colors. For example, you could paint one wall a bold color and leave the rest of the space neutral, or use two different colors for built-in closets or cabinets.
In terms of furniture, you could choose a bench with a two-tone upholstery or add hooks and a shelf in contrasting colors to create a visual impact. The key is to find a balance between the two colors so that they enhance each other without overwhelming the space.
A two-tone scheme can work well in both contemporary and traditional homes, and it’s a simple way to add personality and style to your entryway. Plus, having some color in your entrance can make it feel less busy and clutter-free.
9 Use symmetry with your entryway closets
Having a high-functioning and good-looking entryway closet is essential for making the most of your entrance. One way to achieve this is by using symmetry in your closet design.
Many designer entryway closets use a symmetrical layout to create a balanced and visually appealing look. By placing the same features on each side of the closet, it not only creates a sense of order, but it also makes the space feel more calm and organized.
When using symmetry in your entryway closets, consider incorporating elements such as hooks, shelves, and storage compartments. These can be placed on either side of the closet to create a balanced and functional storage solution.
In terms of color scheme, using the same colors on both sides of the closet will further enhance the symmetry and create a cohesive look. This could mean using bold colors or a simple color palette, depending on your personal style and the overall design of your home.
One useful feature of symmetrical entryway closets is the ability to have a built-in bench with storage underneath. This creates a practical seating area for putting on and taking off shoes, while also providing extra storage space for smaller items.
10 Utilize the space under the stairs
When it comes to making the most of your entryway space, don’t overlook the area under the stairs. This often overlooked space can be transformed into a functional and stylish storage area that will help keep your entrance clutter-free and organized. Here are 10 tips for utilizing the space under the stairs:
- Create built-in closets: Install built-in closets under the stairs to maximize storage space. These closets can be customized to fit your specific needs and can be used to store jackets, shoes, bags, and other items.
- Invest in a bench with storage: A bench with storage underneath is not only a practical seating option, but it also provides extra storage space for shoes, umbrellas, and other small items.
- Use hooks and shelves: By installing hooks and shelves on the walls under the stairs, you can easily hang coats, bags, and hats, as well as display decorative items.
- Create a bold color scheme: Make the space under the stairs stand out by painting the walls or adding wallpaper in a bold color or pattern. This will add visual interest to the area and make it a focal point in your entryway.
- Add a seating area: If you have enough space under the stairs, consider creating a small seating area. This can be a cozy spot where you can sit and put on your shoes, or it can serve as a reading nook.
- Create a shoe storage area: Use the space under the stairs to create a dedicated shoe storage area. This can be done by adding shelves or shoe racks where you can neatly organize your shoes.
- Add privacy: If the space under the stairs is open and visible from the rest of the entryway, you can create privacy by hanging curtains or installing a sliding door.
- Make use of baskets and bins: Use baskets and bins to store smaller items and keep them organized. This will help keep the space under the stairs looking neat and tidy.
- Use the space for a mini kitchen: If you have a small entryway and need extra storage space for kitchen items, you can transform the space under the stairs into a mini kitchen. Install open shelves or a small cupboard to store kitchen essentials.
- Add a feature wall: Make the space under the stairs a focal point by creating a feature wall. You can use wallpaper, paint, or even a gallery wall to add visual interest and personality to the area.
By utilizing the space under the stairs in your entryway, you can make the most of every inch of your home. Whether you need extra storage or a cozy seating area, the area under the stairs has the potential to be a functional and stylish addition to your entryway. So get creative and start making the most of this often neglected space!
How do I organize my entryway closet
Organizing your entryway closet is essential for creating a welcoming and clutter-free entrance to your home. Here are some tips to help you make the most of your entryway closet space:
- Start with a clean slate: Before organizing your entryway closet, empty it completely and give it a thorough clean. This will help you see how much space you have to work with and will make it easier to plan your organization strategy.
- Create a system: Think about how you want to use your entryway closet and what items you need to store there. Consider adding hooks for coats and bags, a shoe rack or cupboard for shoes, and storage bins or baskets for hats, gloves, and scarves.
- Maximize vertical space: Use the height of your entryway closet by installing shelves or hanging organizers. This will help you make the most of the available space and keep items off the floor.
- Group similar items together: Keep similar items together, such as hats in one basket and gloves in another. This will make it easier to find what you need and keep your closet organized.
- Invest in good hangers and hooks: Sturdy hangers and hooks will help you keep coats and bags off the floor and prevent clutter.
- Create a seating area: If you have enough space, consider adding a bench or small chair to your entryway closet. This will provide a convenient spot to sit and put on or take off shoes.
- Use color and design: Paint the walls of your entryway closet a bold or calming color to create a visually appealing space. Adding a small rug or wallpaper can also enhance the design.
- Create privacy: If your entryway closet is open, consider adding a curtain or folding screen to create some privacy and hide any clutter.
- Keep it clutter-free: Regularly declutter your entryway closet by removing items that are no longer needed or in use. This will help keep your closet organized and prevent it from becoming a dumping ground for miscellaneous items.
- Stay organized: Once you’ve organized your entryway closet, make sure to maintain it by putting items back in their designated places. This will help ensure that your entryway stays neat and clutter-free.
By following these tips, you can create an organized and functional entryway closet that meets your needs and enhances the overall look of your home.