When it comes to transforming the outdoor area of your house, some of the key elements that can make a significant difference are the color and texture of your deck. A well-chosen color can enhance the overall aesthetic of your home, blending in with the landscape and creating a harmonious atmosphere.
Choosing the right deck color can be a daunting task, as there are so many options available. But fear not, because we are here to help! Whether you’re looking for a classic look or a modern style, pale shades or darker tones, we’ve got you covered.
One approach to choosing a deck color is to look at what already exists around your home. Consider the color of your house, the plants and flowers in your garden, and the shade of your furniture. Matching your deck color with these elements can create a cohesive and visually appealing outdoor space.
On the other hand, if you want to create a contrast, opting for a deck color that stands out from the rest can make a bold statement. Darker shades can provide an elegant and sophisticated look, while lighter colors can give a fresh and airy feel to your deck.
Wooden decks are timeless and can be painted or stained to match any style. From the latest trends to classic shades, you can choose a deck color that suits your personal taste. Whether you prefer a natural and warm look or a more contemporary and vibrant feel, there is a perfect color out there for you.
Another factor to consider is the type of flooring and railing you have on your deck. If you have a wooden floor and railing, painting or staining them in a similar color can create a cohesive and harmonious look. On the other hand, if you have a more modern look with metal or glass elements, contrasting colors can make a fabulous statement.
Ultimately, the color you choose for your deck should reflect your personal style and taste. It should complement the overall design of your home and create a seamless transition between the inside and outside spaces.
Need more inspiration and advice? Subscribe to our newsletter, and our team will be happy to provide you with the latest deck color ideas right in your inbox. Whether you want to go for a traditional look or a contemporary vibe, we can help you find the most suitable color for your deck.
So don’t wait any longer! Start exploring the wonderful world of deck colors and give your outdoor space a new lease of life.
Deck color ideas
Choosing the right color for your deck is essential to enhance the beauty of your outdoor space. The color you choose can help create a style that works well with your garden and gives your deck an inviting and refreshing look.
1. Nature-inspired colors
If you love nature and want your deck to blend in with its surroundings, consider staining or painting it with earth tones such as greens and browns. These colors mimic the natural tones found in plants, wood, and exterior textures, creating a seamless connection between your deck and the garden.
2. Classic and contemporary options
For a classic and timeless look, opt for lighter shades of gray or pale pastel colors. These colors work well with any style of home and create a clean and elegant atmosphere. On the other hand, if you prefer a more contemporary vibe, go for darker and bolder colors like deep blues or even black. These shades can create a striking contrast against the natural elements of your garden.
3. Contrasting accents
If you have an existing deck with a neutral color, consider adding contrasting accents to give it a fresh and modern touch. For example, you can paint the edge of the deck or the railing with a vibrant color, such as red or orange, to create an eye-catching statement. This technique works well with both wooden decks and decks made of composite materials.
4. Colorful seating and plants
If you’re not ready to commit to staining or painting your entire deck, you can still add color by incorporating colorful seating and planting vibrant flowers or plants in pots. This way, you get to enjoy pops of color without the long-term commitment.
5. Bi-fold doors and windows
If your deck is directly connected to your indoor living space, consider using bi-fold doors or windows to blur the boundary between the indoor and outdoor areas. This allows natural light to flow through and makes your deck feel like an extension of your home. Choose a color for the flooring that complements the interior of your living space to create a cohesive and harmonious look.
In conclusion, there are many ways to choose the right color for staining or painting your deck. Whether you prefer natural tones, classic or contemporary shades, or playful accents, finding the right color will give your deck a fabulous look that enhances your outdoor living experience.
1 Take a cue from indoors
In modern living, your home doesn’t stop at the walls. If you want to create a seamless transition from your indoor space to your garden, choosing a deck color that complements your interior design can help achieve that cohesive look.
Simon Jaccard, a contemporary wooden deck designer, says, “Taking cues from the flooring inside your home is a great starting point when choosing a deck color. If you have darker flooring, consider going with a darker deck color for a more modern and cohesive look. On the other hand, if you have lighter flooring, a lighter deck color can create a classic and airy feel.”
By using similar colors, you can even make the outdoor space feel like an extension of your home. For example, if you have bi-fold doors or large windows that overlook your deck, choosing a deck color that matches your window frames can create a harmonious and visually appealing flow between the inside and outside.
Alternatively, you can create contrast by using shades that are different from your interior color scheme. This can help the deck stand out as its own distinct area while still complementing the overall look of your home.
When selecting a deck color, consider the surrounding elements such as the railing, door, and any other stained or painted surfaces. Staining or painting these elements with the same or similar colors can help tie everything together and create a cohesive aesthetic.
In addition to considering indoor color schemes, take inspiration from the natural colors of your garden. If you have lush greenery or vibrant plants, selecting a deck color that complements these elements can enhance the overall beauty of your outdoor space.
Remember to also consider practical factors such as the lighting conditions and the timber you choose for your deck. Lighter deck colors can help brighten shaded areas, while darker colors may be more suitable for sun-drenched outdoor spaces. Additionally, different wood species may have their own unique characteristics and colors, so it’s important to choose a deck color that works well with the specific type of wood you have.
Overall, when choosing a deck color, taking inspiration from your indoor space, integrating with the natural landscape, and considering the practical elements can help you create a deck that beautifully complements your home and garden.
2 Let the natural beauty shine through
When it comes to choosing a deck color, sometimes the best option is to let the natural beauty of the wood shine through. This is especially true if you have a high-quality, well-maintained deck that just needs a little touch-up.
Working with the natural tones
The edge of your decking can be stained in a color that matches the exterior of your home, such as a dark gray or brown. This will create a classic look that blends seamlessly with the rest of your outdoor space.
To let the natural beauty of the wood shine through, consider using a transparent or semi-transparent stain. These stains allow the texture and grain of the wood to show through, enhancing the overall look of your deck.
Choosing the right color
When choosing a stain color, look for shades that complement your outdoor landscape. For example, if you have a lot of greenery in your yard, a pale, weathered gray stain may work well. If you have a more modern style, a deep, rich brown stain can transform your deck into a contemporary outdoor living space.
Matching the rest of your outdoor elements
When staining or painting your deck, it’s important to consider how the color will work with the other elements in your outdoor space. For example, if you have white railing or doors, a dark stain may provide a nice contrast. If you have a gravel or stone floor, a warm, earthy tone can create a cohesive look.
Bringing it all together
Simon Jaccard, a designer from The Decking Company, says that one of the great ways to bring together all the different elements of your outdoor space is to use the same stain or paint color on your deck and other areas, such as fencing, furniture, or window frames. This creates a cohesive and polished look that ties everything together.
Letting the natural beauty shine through
By letting the natural beauty of the wood shine through, you can create a deck that feels like an extension of your home. The rich textures and warm tones of a stained deck can complement any outdoor landscape and give your home a timeless and inviting look.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest deck color ideas delivered right to your inbox!
3 Go for a deep espresso
If you want a deck color that can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your outdoor living space, consider going for a deep espresso stain or paint. This rich and dark color can create a dramatic contrast with the surrounding lighter tones and makes a strong statement.
Simon Jaccard, a member of our team, says: “A deep espresso deck works well with both modern and traditional homes. It adds a sense of warmth and depth to any outdoor space.”
Choosing a deep espresso color can also help to create a cohesive look between your deck and other wooden elements in your outdoor space, such as fences, garden sheds, and bi-fold doors. This color choice can tie all these parts together and make them feel like they belong in the same landscape.
When it comes to furniture and accessories, a deep espresso deck color works great with lighter cushions and dining sets, creating an inviting and cozy atmosphere. It also provides a beautiful backdrop for plants and flowers, making them stand out and adding a pop of color to your deck.
In terms of maintenance, a darker color like deep espresso can help hide dirt and stains, making it easier to keep your deck looking clean and well-maintained. However, keep in mind that darker colors may get hotter in direct sunlight, so take this into consideration if you live in a sunny area.
If you’re looking for some inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest deck color ideas delivered straight to your inbox. Our team of experts can provide you with valuable information and advice on what colors work best for different conditions and house styles.
|Creates a sense of elegance and sophistication||May get hotter in direct sunlight|
|Provides a contrasting backdrop for lighter furniture||May require more regular maintenance|
|Hides dirt and stains|
|Enhances the beauty of plants and flowers|
4 Encourage weathered decking
If you prefer a more weathered and natural look for your deck, there are some steps you can take to encourage the aging process. Here is some advice on how to achieve weathered decking:
- Incorporate natural elements: Surround your deck with plants and flowers to create a seamless transition between your outdoor living area and the rest of your garden. This will help your deck blend into the natural landscape.
- Choose pale tones: Rather than staining or painting your deck, consider opting for a timber that naturally weathers to pale and silvery tones over time. This can enhance the overall beauty of your deck and create a more rustic and weathered appearance.
- Add weathered furniture: Select outdoor furniture pieces that have a weathered and worn appearance. This could include wooden chairs, tables, and seating cushions that have a faded and distressed look. Mix and match different pieces to give your deck a unique and eclectic feel.
- Create contrast: If you have darker-stained or painted features, such as seating or railing, on your deck, it can create a striking contrast against the weathered decking. This can add visual interest and enhance the overall design scheme of your outdoor space.
By following these tips, you can encourage the natural weathering process of your decking and create a unique and rustic look for your outdoor living area.
Note: It is important to consider the specific weather conditions in your area when choosing the right approach for weathered decking. Some decking timber may weather more quickly or evenly than others, so it is essential to do your research and choose a material that will age well in your specific climate.
For more information or for assistance in choosing the right decking color, consider consulting a professional decking company who can provide expert advice tailored to your specific needs. They will be able to provide you with more information on the various ways you can encourage weathering and achieve the desired aesthetic for your deck.
5 Go for a modern look
If you want to create a contemporary and modern look for your deck, there are a few color options to consider. The key is to choose colors that will complement each other and create a cohesive and stylish scheme. Here are some ideas:
- Dark tones: Opt for darker shades like charcoal or deep brown. These colors can give your deck a sophisticated and sleek look, especially when paired with lighter furniture and cushions.
- Contrast: Create visual interest by using contrasting colors. For example, if your deck is made of light-colored wood, you could paint the railing and flooring in a darker shade to add some drama.
- Lighter colors: If you prefer a more minimalist and airy feel, choose lighter shades like pale gray or white. These colors can make your deck feel larger and brighter, especially if you have smaller outdoor spaces like balconies or patios.
- Use textures: Consider using textured materials or finishes to give your deck a more contemporary look. For example, you could opt for a decking material with a wood grain texture or incorporate other materials like stone or metal into the design.
- Accents: To add pops of color and bring your deck to life, consider adding accent colors through furniture, cushions, and planting. Bright flowers or colorful planters can create a lively and vibrant atmosphere.
Remember to consider your surroundings and the style of your home when choosing a color scheme. You want your deck to blend well with its surroundings and enhance the overall beauty of your outdoor spaces. If you’re unsure about which colors to choose, don’t hesitate to seek advice from a professional or consult a color expert.
6 Choose an understated deck color as contrast
When it comes to deck colors, sometimes a lighter, more understated approach can create a beautiful contrast to the classic colors of your house’s exterior. By choosing a lighter shade, you can highlight the textures and details of your deck while still complementing the rest of your home.
Simon, a representative from a leading deck staining company, suggests considering shades of pale greens or even a light gray to achieve this understated look. “These colors work well in contemporary homes and can blend seamlessly with the natural surroundings,” he says. “They can also help create a modern and refreshing feel to your outdoor living areas.”
If you’re looking for some inspiration, Simon recommends checking out the latest exterior color trends or even taking a walk around your neighborhood. “Look at what colors are popular for homes, sheds, and even railing,” he advises. “You might find some ideas that really resonate with your style.”
To bring everything together, you can also consider incorporating plants and furniture that matches your chosen deck color. For example, pairing pale green decking with green cushions and planting some greenery around the seating area can create a cohesive and harmonious feel.
A lighter and neutral deck color can also help create a soothing and calming atmosphere. If you have a dining or entertaining area on your deck, a light-colored floor can make it feel more open and inviting.
When it comes to painting or staining your deck, choosing an understated color can be a safe and versatile choice. It works well with different furniture styles, wall colors, and even outdoor accessories.
So, if you want a deck that adds beauty to your home without stealing the show, consider selecting a lighter and more understated color as a contrast to the classic colors of your house’s exterior. It can help create a contemporary look while still blending in with the natural surroundings.
7 Keep deck shades soft
Choosing the right color for your deck can make a big difference in the overall look and feel of your outdoor living space. One option to consider is keeping the deck shades soft, which can create a more inviting and calming atmosphere.
Soft shades like pale blues, light grays, and muted greens give a sense of tranquility and can help your deck blend seamlessly with your surrounding gardens and landscaping. These lighter colors can also make smaller outdoor seating areas feel more open and spacious.
If you have a very sunny deck and want to keep it cool, painting it in light shades can help reflect the sun’s rays and prevent the deck from becoming too hot underfoot. This is especially useful in areas with hot summer conditions.
In terms of deck design, soft shades can also work great with modern decking materials such as composite or PVC. These materials often come in lighter colors, and choosing a pale shade for your deck can enhance the clean and contemporary look of your outdoor space.
If you have wooden decking, staining it in soft shades can help highlight the natural beauty of the wood. Lighter tones can bring out the grain and texture of the wood, giving it a more classic and timeless feel.
Another way to keep deck shades soft is by using contrasting colors. For example, you could paint the deck floor in a light gray and the railing in a darker shade of gray. This contrast can add depth and visual interest to your deck and make it stand out from the rest of your home’s exterior.
Incorporating plants and flowers into your deck design can also help soften the overall look. Hanging baskets, potted plants, and window boxes filled with blooming flowers can add a touch of color and natural beauty to your deck.
To create a seamless transition between your deck and the rest of your outdoor space, consider using gravel or wooden pathways. These pathways can lead from your deck to other parts of your yard and help blend different areas together.
In summary, keeping deck shades soft can transform your outdoor living space into a tranquil and inviting retreat. Whether you’re looking for a modern or classic design, lighter colors can help create the right atmosphere. Consider the conditions of your deck and surrounding environment when choosing the right shades, and don’t be afraid to experiment with contrasting colors, plants, and different materials to create a fabulous outdoor retreat.
8 Create a continuous effect
When choosing a color for your deck, consider creating a continuous effect by matching or complementing the color of your deck to other elements in your outdoor space. This approach can help to create a cohesive and harmonious style. Here are some ideas on how to create a continuous effect:
- Match the deck color with the house: Choosing a deck color that matches or complements the color of your house can create a seamless transition between the indoor and outdoor spaces. For example, if your house has light tones, consider staining or painting your deck in a lighter color as well.
- Coordinate with the surroundings: Take inspiration from the natural elements surrounding your deck, such as plants, flowers, and trees. If you have a garden with lush greenery, choosing a deck color that matches the natural greens can help your deck blend in beautifully.
- Create contrast: On the other hand, creating contrast with your deck color can give it a modern and eye-catching look. For example, if your house has darker colors, a lighter deck color can create a striking contrast.
- Match the railing and other elements: Consider matching the color of your deck railing, doors, windows, and other outdoor elements to create a cohesive and unified look. For example, if you have timber railing, staining your deck in a similar shade can tie the whole design together.
- Consider the type of decking material: Different decking materials have different properties and colors, such as traditional timber, composite, or PVC. Take into account the characteristics of the material you are using and choose a color that enhances its beauty. For example, a classic timber deck can be stained in shades that mimic aged wood.
- Take inspiration from the latest trends: If you’re unsure which color to choose, take a look at the latest trends in deck color ideas. Design magazines, websites, or consulting with a professional designer can give you fresh ideas and help you stay up-to-date with the latest styles.
- Experiment with paint and stains: Paint and stains offer a wide range of colors and finishes. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different shades – you can always test them on a small area of your deck or consult with a paint company for advice.
- Get creative with textures and patterns: In addition to choosing a color, consider experimenting with textures and patterns to give your deck a unique look. For example, you could use decking squares in different shades or incorporate a patterned floor design.
By following these tips and considering the color options available, you can create a deck that not only looks great but also seamlessly integrates with the overall design of your outdoor living space. Remember to take into account the lighting conditions and the specific conditions of your home and garden when choosing the right color for your deck.
For more information and ideas on deck color choices, staining options, and deck maintenance, subscribe to our newsletter and have the latest tips and advice delivered straight to your inbox! [insert subscription link]
9 Take your cue from nature
If you’re looking for deck color ideas, why not take inspiration from the beauty of nature? Nature provides us with a wide range of colors that can be used to enhance the appearance of your deck and create a harmonious outdoor living space. Here are some ways you can use nature as a guide when choosing the color for your deck:
1. Deep and rich tones
- Take a look at the deep, great colors found in the plants and flowers around your garden. These colors can be translated into shades for your deck, adding depth and character to the space.
- Jaccard bi-fold doors offered excellent open areas that enable indoor-outdoor living with casual zones flawlessly transitioning to formal living.
- Consider using dark greens, browns, or even a burgundy shade for a contemporary and sophisticated look.
2. Light and airy shades
- If you prefer a lighter look, look to the sky, clouds, and open landscapes for inspiration.
- Pale blues, greys, and creamy whites can create a serene and calming atmosphere for your deck.
- Lighter shades also work well if you have a smaller deck, as they can make the space feel more open and spacious.
3. Natural wood tones
- When choosing a deck color, you can also consider the color of the timber flooring or furniture.
- Aged wood often takes on a beautiful silver-grey hue, which can complement the surrounding landscape.
- If you love the classic look, a natural wood stain can enhance the beauty of the wood while still allowing its natural texture and style to shine through.
By taking inspiration from nature, you can create a fabulous deck color scheme that blends well with the elements around your house and garden. Whether you prefer a deep and rich tone, a light and airy shade, or a natural wood look, nature can provide you with endless ideas to make your deck a truly stunning outdoor space.
For more information and advice on choosing the right deck color, sign up for our newsletter to get the latest deck color ideas and inspiration delivered straight to your inbox.
10 Team with pavers
If you’re looking to transform your outdoor space and create a contemporary and stylish patio or deck area, teaming your deck with pavers is a great option. Pavers can provide a beautiful contrast to the wooden tones of your deck, creating a visually appealing and cohesive look for your outdoor space. Here are 10 ideas for teaming your deck with pavers:
- Bi-fold doors and paver squares: If you have bi-fold doors leading from your dining or living area to your outdoor space, consider creating a seamless transition by using paver squares on the floor. This creates a stunning visual effect and makes the space feel larger and more connected.
- Pavers along the edge: For a more subtle approach, consider using pavers to frame your deck. This creates a defined edge and adds a touch of elegance to your outdoor space.
- Pavers under seating areas: If you have seating areas or benches on your deck, consider placing pavers underneath them. This not only adds visual interest but also creates a more comfortable and stable seating area.
- Pavers with gravel: For a rustic and natural look, consider combining pavers with gravel. This creates a textured and visually appealing surface that complements the surrounding nature.
- Pavers around plants: If you have plants or gardens surrounding your deck, consider using pavers to create pathways or borders around them. This not only adds visual interest but also helps to protect your plants.
- Pavers with wooden decking: For a modern and contemporary look, consider combining pavers with wooden decking. This creates a beautiful contrast between the different materials and adds depth and visual interest to your outdoor space.
- Pavers with darker wood tones: If you have darker wood tones on your deck, consider using lighter-colored pavers to create a striking contrast. This adds visual interest and creates a modern and sophisticated look.
- Pavers with outdoor furniture: Consider using pavers to define different areas of your outdoor space, such as seating areas or dining areas. This helps to create a sense of organization and makes your outdoor space feel more inviting and functional.
- Pavers along the house: If you have a deck that is adjacent to your house, consider using pavers along the wall to create a seamless transition between the indoor and outdoor areas. This creates a visually appealing and cohesive look for your outdoor space.
- Pavers with cushions: If you have cushions on your outdoor furniture, consider coordinating the colors of the pavers with the cushions. This creates a cohesive look and adds visual interest to your outdoor space.
Whether you’re looking for a contemporary and stylish outdoor space or a rustic and natural patio, teaming your deck with pavers can be a great way to enhance your outdoor space. By combining different materials and creating visual interest, you can create a unique and inviting outdoor area that you’ll love spending time in.
11 Match outdoors with in
When it comes to choosing the color for your deck, it can be beneficial to match the style of your outdoor space with the interior of your home. By using the same or complementary colors, you can bring the two spaces together and create a cohesive look.
One way to achieve this is by using the same colors for your decking as you have on the walls or floors inside your home. For example, if you have a light and airy interior with pale greens and whites, you might want to choose a decking color that matches those tones. This can help create a seamless transition from your indoor space to your outdoor space.
Simon Jaccard, a landscape designer, says, “I love the way a decking color can transform the outside of a home and make it feel like an extension of the living space.” He suggests choosing colors that work well with the surrounding landscape and the exterior of your home. “If you have aged wooden doors or sheds in your garden, matching the decking color to them can be a great way to enhance the beauty of your outdoor space,” he adds.
Another way to match the outdoors with the inside is by using similar textures. If you have wooden flooring inside your home, you might consider choosing a decking color and texture that mimics the look of wood. This can help create a sense of continuity between the two spaces.
Planting flowers and greens around your deck can also help tie the outdoor and indoor spaces together. By choosing plants and flowers that match the color scheme of your deck, you can create a unified look. For example, if you have a decking color in shades of gray, adding white flowers and light-toned plants can help enhance the overall aesthetic.
Adding seating areas or floor cushions that match the colors of your deck can also help create a cohesive look. By incorporating the same colors on your outdoor furniture as you have on your decking, you can create a space that feels connected and harmonious.
Ultimately, the goal is to create a space that feels like an extension of your home. By choosing colors, textures, and plants that match the style and colors of your interior, you can achieve a fabulous outdoor space that works well with the rest of your home.
12 Make planting pop with dark deck colors
When it comes to choosing the color for your deck, nature is a great source of inspiration. Dark deck colors can make your plantings really pop and create a beautiful contrast against the natural elements. If you have a green thumb and love spending time in your garden, choosing a dark deck color might be the perfect choice for you.
Why choose a dark deck color?
Dark deck colors create a sense of depth and drama, which can help your plants stand out even more. The dark color acts as a backdrop, allowing the vibrant colors of your flowers and plants to take center stage.
A dark deck color can also give your outdoor space a more sophisticated and elegant feel. It can add a touch of style and make your deck look more like an extension of your home rather than just an outdoor space.
How to choose the right dark deck color
When choosing a dark deck color, consider the colors that are already present in your outdoor space. Look at the color scheme of your house, the furniture you have outside, and the colors of your plants. You want to choose a deck color that complements these elements and ties everything together.
A popular choice for dark deck colors is a deep, rich brown. This color mimics the look of aged timber and works well with most color schemes. It can give your deck a timeless, classic look that never goes out of style.
If you want to go even darker, black is another great option. Black can give your deck a contemporary and modern feel, especially when paired with lighter furniture or cushions. It can create a striking contrast that will make your plants and flowers really stand out.
How staining or painting your deck can transform your outdoor space
Staining or painting your deck can completely transform your outdoor space. It can give your deck a fresh new look and make it feel like an extension of your home.
With a dark deck color, you can create a fabulous backdrop for your plants and flowers. The dark color will make the greenery and vibrant petals of your flowers really pop, creating a stunning visual effect.
Not only will a dark deck color make your plantings stand out, but it can also give your outdoor space a more polished and put-together look. It can make your deck look more intentional and well-designed, rather than just an afterthought.
Get inspired by the latest trends
If you’re not sure which dark deck color to choose, getting inspiration from the latest trends can help. Many decking companies and designers offer advice and suggestions on the best deck colors to choose.
For example, a popular trend right now is to use dark deck colors as a way to create defined outdoor living and dining areas. By staining or painting your deck a dark color, you can create different zones within your outdoor space, giving each area its own unique feel.
Choosing a dark deck color can give your outdoor space a whole new look and make your plantings really pop. Whether you go for a deep brown or a bold black, a dark deck color can create a beautiful contrast against the natural elements and help your plants stand out.
So, if you love spending time in your garden and want to create a stylish and sophisticated outdoor space, consider staining or painting your deck a dark color. It will transform your outdoor area and make it a place you’ll love to spend time in.
13 Contrast the deck color with the house
When choosing a color for your deck, one approach is to contrast it with the color of your house. This can create a visually appealing and interesting look for your outdoor space.
Simon, a landscape designer from Green Gardens Company, suggests planting some greenery and gravel around the deck area to create a well-blended and natural feel. This can be done by incorporating potted plants with various shades of green and using gravel as a border or pathway material.
As part of a classic style, lighter shades of paint or stain can be used to contrast with a darker-colored house. This can help highlight the beauty of both the deck and the exterior of your home.
Timber furniture and seating arrangements provide a fabulous addition to the deck, and the choice of colors can make a big difference in the overall look. For a cohesive and modern feel, choosing furniture that matches the color scheme of the house can help tie everything together.
For a contemporary touch, consider using contrasting colors that transform the deck into an eye-catching feature. A popular choice is to use a white or light-toned deck color against a dark-colored house. This contrast adds depth and enhances the overall appeal of the outdoor space.
Lighter deck colors can also make the area feel more spacious and open, says the Green Gardens team. “By using light colors, the deck blends with the natural light and feels like an extension of the existing landscape,” they explain.
When choosing a color that contrasts with the house, it’s important to consider the other elements in your outdoor space. For example, if you have aged wooden sheds or bi-fold doors, you’ll want to make sure the deck color complements these features as well.
When it comes to texture, the contrast can be achieved by opting for a smoother finish on the deck compared to the rougher texture of the house. This creates a visually interesting difference underfoot and adds a modern touch to the overall design.
Whether you choose to create a bold contrast or a more subtle one, the key is to find a deck color that complements the style and colors of your house. By choosing the right color, you can transform your outdoor living space and create a harmonious and visually appealing environment.
14 Tone with pebbled areas
If you want to create a modern and contemporary look for your deck, incorporating pebbled areas can add texture and depth to your outdoor space. By combining different tones and materials, you can create a unique and stylish design that complements your home and garden.
One way to achieve this look is by choosing a lighter tone for the main deck flooring and a darker tone for the pebbled areas. This contrast in tones will help create visual interest and make the pebbled areas stand out. For example, you can stain your deck in a light gray or beige tone and use dark gray or black pebbles for the designated areas.
You can also incorporate planting areas around the deck to further enhance the natural beauty of the pebbles. By adding green plants or white flowers, you can create a beautiful and vibrant landscape that complements the modern style of the deck.
In addition to the deck flooring and pebbled areas, you can also consider using similar tones for other elements such as seating, cushions, and dining furniture. This cohesive color scheme will tie all the different parts of the deck together and create a harmonious and stylish outdoor space.
If you want to take this design even further, you can also consider using pebbles or gravel in other parts of your yard or garden. For example, you can use them around window wells, sheds, or even create pathways. This will not only create continuity in your design but also make your outdoor space more visually interesting.
When choosing the colors for your deck and pebbled areas, it’s important to consider the overall style of your home and its surroundings. If you have a more contemporary or modern home, you might want to choose sleek and minimalistic tones such as gray or black. On the other hand, if you have a more traditional or rustic home, warmer tones like brown or deep red might work well.
For more advice and information on choosing the right colors for your deck, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team at [Company Name]. We can help you find the perfect color scheme that works for your outdoor space and personal style.
15 Harmonize decking with furniture colors
Choosing the right color for your decking is important, but it’s also important to consider how it will harmonize with your furniture colors. The color of your furniture can have a big impact on the overall look and feel of your outdoor space, so it’s worth taking the time to think about how it will all work together.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right colors for your decking and furniture:
- Consider the style of your home: If you have a classic or traditional style home, you may want to choose colors that match the exterior of your house. For example, if you have white doors and window frames, a white or light-colored decking may work well. On the other hand, if you have a more contemporary or modern home, you may want to go for darker, trendier tones.
- Take inspiration from nature: If you want your outdoor space to feel connected to nature, consider using colors that mimic the natural elements. Greens, browns, and earthy tones can create a calming and organic atmosphere.
- Coordinate with your furniture: Look at the colors of your outdoor furniture and choose a decking color that will complement them. For example, if you have wooden furniture with dark-brown cushions, a deep brown decking color can help tie everything together.
- Create contrast: If you want to make a statement, consider creating contrast between your decking and furniture colors. For example, a lighter decking color paired with dark furniture can create a striking and contemporary look.
- Take advice from designers: If you’re not sure which colors will work best with your furniture, don’t hesitate to seek advice from a professional designer. They can provide you with the latest trends and help you choose colors that will create a cohesive and stylish outdoor space.
- Transform your space with paint: If you have an aged or worn decking, painting it can give it a new lease of life. Choose a color that complements your furniture and the overall look you want to achieve.
- Consider the lighting conditions: The lighting conditions in your outdoor space can affect how colors appear. If your decking is in direct sunlight, lighter colors may be more suitable as they won’t absorb as much heat. If your decking is in a shaded area, darker colors can bring warmth and depth.
- Give it a natural feel with stains: If you want to maintain the natural beauty of the wood on your decking, consider using a stain instead of paint. Stains allow the natural textures and grains of the wood to show through, giving your decking a more organic and rustic look.
- Add pops of color with cushions and accessories: If you want to inject some color into your outdoor space, consider using colorful cushions and accessories. These can help tie your decking and furniture together while adding a playful and lively touch.
- Create a floor seating area: If you have a large decking space, consider creating a floor seating area. This can be a great way to make the most of your outdoor space and give it a cozy and relaxed feel. Choose furniture colors that will complement the decking color you have chosen.
- Don’t forget about railing and other elements: When choosing your decking and furniture colors, don’t forget about other elements like railing, planters, and sheds. These should also be considered and coordinated with the rest of your outdoor space.
- Choose colors that suit your personal style: Ultimately, the best color choices for your decking and furniture are the ones that reflect your personal style and taste. Whether you prefer bold and vibrant colors or more muted and understated tones, choose colors that you love and that make you feel happy and comfortable in your outdoor living space.
By submitting to the above advice, you can create a harmonized and fabulous outdoor space where your decking and furniture colors work together to create a beautiful and inviting environment.
16 Repeat a door color
One way to give your deck a cohesive and modern look is to repeat the color of your exterior doors on the deck. This approach works well if you have a deep, dark color on your doors, such as a rich navy blue or a bold black.
By staining or painting your deck in a similar dark shade, you can create a stylish and contemporary feel. The dark deck color will also provide a great contrast to lighter elements of your deck, such as the wood or the dining area.
When choosing the right color to repeat from your doors, consider the style of your home and the other exterior colors. Look for a color that matches or complements the existing color scheme of your house.
To create a cohesive and unified look, you can also extend the door color to other areas of your outdoor space, such as the garden or seating areas. By repeating the color, you can tie different elements of your deck and garden together.
If you have timber decking, staining or painting it in a dark door color will create a contemporary edge. This can work particularly well in gardens with modern or minimalist design styles.
When planting flowers or plants around the deck, choose ones that will help enhance the color scheme. For example, white flowers can provide a fresh and classic look against a dark deck color.
Accessorize your deck with the latest outdoor furniture and cushions in shades that complement the door color. This will help bring the whole outdoor living space together and create a cohesive and stylish look.
Remember to consider the conditions and climate in your area when choosing colors. Darker colors can absorb more heat, so they may not be suitable for areas that have intense sunlight. Additionally, darker colors may make your deck feel smaller if you have a small outdoor space.
By repeating a door color on your deck, you can create a fabulous and coordinated outdoor living space. Whether you choose to paint or stain your deck, this approach can add depth and sophistication to your deck design.
17 Make a country-style design look modern
If you want to give your country-style design a modern twist, there are several ways to achieve this. By combining elements of both styles and choosing the right colors, you can transform your space into a stylish and contemporary area. Here are some ideas to help you achieve this:
- Choose modern colors: Instead of the traditional earth tones found in country-style homes, opt for more modern and vibrant colors. Consider using light and pale tones for the walls to create a fresh and airy feel.
- Blend old and new: Mix antique and modern furniture pieces to create a unique and eclectic look. Pair a wooden dining table with contemporary chairs, or add modern cushions to an old sofa to add a modern touch.
- Update your flooring: Replace traditional wooden flooring with a modern and sleek alternative, such as laminate or vinyl. This will instantly give your space a more contemporary feel.
- Add modern lighting: Choose contemporary light fixtures to update the look of your country-style design. Pendant lights or track lighting can add a touch of modernity to your space.
- Bring in natural elements: Incorporate plants and flowers into your space to add a touch of nature and freshness. Consider using bi-fold window doors to seamlessly blend the outside landscape with your interior.
- Opt for modern furniture: Choose furniture pieces that have sleek lines and a modern design. Avoid heavy and ornate furniture commonly found in country-style homes.
- Play with textures: Mix and match textures to add depth and interest to your space. Combine smooth and glossy surfaces with rough and matte finishes.
- Use gravel and paving squares: Instead of traditional decking, consider using gravel and paving squares to create a modern outdoor area. This will add a contemporary touch to your exterior space.
- Update your sheds and storage: Replace old and worn-out sheds with modern and stylish storage solutions. Opt for sheds with clean lines and a minimalist design.
- Choose the right plants: When planting, opt for plants with a modern and minimalist look. Consider using plants with clean and simple lines, such as succulents or bamboo.
- Add modern seating: Replace old and worn-out seating with modern and stylish options. Choose seating with clean lines and in colors that match your modern color palette.
- Take advantage of natural light: Maximize natural light by using light-colored curtains or blinds and avoiding heavy window treatments. This will create a more open and modern feel.
- Use the latest exterior materials: Opt for modern and durable materials for your exterior, such as timber or composite decking. This will not only enhance the beauty of your space but also ensure its longevity.
- Consider the overall tone: When choosing colors and materials, consider the overall tone you want to achieve. If you prefer a more minimalist and clean look, opt for neutral colors and simple materials.
- Find the balance: Strike a balance between the country-style elements you love and the modern elements you want to incorporate. This will help create a cohesive and harmonious design.
- Seek professional advice: If you’re unsure about how to achieve a modern look with your country-style design, don’t hesitate to seek advice from a professional design team. They can provide guidance and recommendations based on your specific requirements.
By following these tips, you can easily make a country-style design look modern and create a space that reflects your personal style and preferences. So go ahead and start transforming your space into a fabulous and contemporary area!
18 Take a contemporary approach
If you want a modern and sleek look for your deck, taking a contemporary approach is a great idea. Contemporary design focuses on clean lines, minimalism, and a combination of different materials.
One way to achieve a contemporary look is to use a combination of wood and other materials such as metal or glass. For example, you could have a wooden deck with metal railings or glass panels for a stylish and sophisticated look.
Light colors can also help create a contemporary feel. Light-toned decking and flooring can give your deck a fresh and airy look, and it can also make your outdoor areas feel more spacious.
A contemporary approach also involves choosing furniture and accessories that complement the overall design scheme. Opt for sleek and minimalist seating options, such as modern outdoor chairs and benches. You can also add some bold and colorful elements, such as brightly colored throw pillows or outdoor rugs, to create a great contrast with the neutral tones of your deck.
Plants and flowers can also play a part in creating a contemporary deck design. Choose plants with clean lines and minimalist shapes, such as succulents or ornamental grasses. You can create a beautiful garden area with simple planting schemes and carefully chosen containers.
“Contemporary deck designs often incorporate timber decking for its natural beauty,” says Simon, a designer from a decking company. “The warm tones and unique grain pattern of timber can help create a modern and inviting outdoor space.”
Another way to achieve a contemporary deck design is to consider the exterior of your home. If you have bi-fold doors or large windows that open up onto your deck, you can create a seamless connection between the inside and outside spaces.
When choosing a color scheme for a contemporary deck, consider using a combination of neutral tones with pops of bold colors. Gray, white, and black are popular choices for contemporary decks, but you can also consider using bold shades like red or blue to create a vibrant and energetic look.
Remember that a contemporary approach doesn’t mean you have to stick with just one material or color. Play around with different combinations and experiment with textures and finishes to create a deck that truly reflects your personal style.
What is the best color for a deck
When it comes to choosing the best color for your outdoor deck, there are a few factors to consider. Your deck is an extension of your home and can be a beautiful addition to your outdoor space. The color you choose will depend on your personal preferences, the style of your home, and the overall look you want to achieve.
Matching and contrasting with your home
One approach is to choose a deck color that matches or complements the exterior of your home. This can create a seamless and cohesive look between your deck and the rest of your outdoor space. For example, if your home has white siding, you might consider a white deck for a classic and timeless look. On the other hand, if your home has a darker exterior, a darker deck color can create a contemporary and modern feel.
Alternatively, you can choose a deck color that contrasts with your home’s exterior. This can create an interesting and eye-catching look. For instance, if your home has a light-colored exterior, a dark deck color like deep brown or charcoal can provide a striking contrast. Similarly, if your home has a dark exterior, a lighter deck color like beige or pale gray can create a fresh and airy feel.
Considering your surroundings
Another important factor to consider when choosing a deck color is your surroundings. Take a look at the plants, trees, and landscape in your garden. If you have a lot of greenery and lush plants, a deck color that blends with nature, such as a green or brown tone, can create a harmonious and natural look. On the other hand, if you have a more minimalist and modern garden with clean lines and contemporary sculptures, a deck color that matches this aesthetic, like a sleek gray or black, may be more suitable.
Creating a focal point or an extension of your living space
Your deck can serve as an outdoor living space, so you can choose a deck color that helps create a particular mood or style. For example, if you have a dining area on your deck, you might want to choose a deck color that complements your dining furniture and creates a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Alternatively, if you have a seating area on your deck, you can choose a deck color that matches your outdoor cushions and creates a relaxing and comfortable space.
Simon Jaccard, a member of our paint and color advice team, suggests that you also think about the flooring material you choose. “The color of your deck should work with the flooring material you choose. If you go for a lighter deck color, it can create a brighter and more spacious look. If you go for a darker deck color, it can create a cozy and intimate feel.”
Ultimately, the best color for your deck is the one that suits your personal taste and style. Whether you prefer a classic and timeless look or a contemporary and modern vibe, there are countless ways to transform your deck into a fabulous outdoor space that matches your home and reflects your individuality.
How do I pick a deck color
Consider the style of your home
When selecting a deck color, it’s important to take into consideration the overall style of your home. The deck should complement the architecture and color scheme of the house.
For example, if you have a modern, contemporary style home with clean lines and neutral colors, a darker deck color like a deep brown or black can create a sleek and sophisticated look.
Think about the surrounding landscape
Another factor to consider when choosing a deck color is the surrounding landscape. Take note of the plants, trees, and gardens that are near your deck.
If you have a lot of greenery and lush plants around your deck, you may want to consider a deck color that will blend in with the natural elements, such as a light green or beige.
Consider the amount of direct sunlight
The amount of direct sunlight your deck receives can also affect the color choice. If your deck is in a shaded area, a darker stain or paint color can help create a cozy and intimate feel.
On the other hand, if your deck is exposed to a lot of sunlight, a lighter color can help reflect the heat and keep the deck cooler.
Look at your existing furniture and outdoor seating
If you have existing furniture or outdoor seating on your deck, consider the color of these items when choosing a deck color. You want the deck color to complement and enhance the overall look of your outdoor living space.
For example, if you have a lot of neutral-colored furniture, a darker deck color can provide a beautiful contrast. If you have brightly colored furniture, a lighter deck color can create a more cohesive and harmonious look.
Consider the underfoot conditions
The type of flooring or decking material you have can also impact the color choice. If you have a wooden deck, you may want to choose a deck color that enhances the natural beauty of the wood.
A stain or paint color that matches or enhances the natural wood tone can give your deck a warm and inviting feel.
Get inspiration from designers and experts
If you’re having trouble deciding on a deck color, it can be helpful to get inspiration from designers, landscaping experts, or even from other homes in your neighborhood.
Look for pictures, advice, and ideas online or in gardening magazines to see what colors and styles other people have used for their decks. This can help you narrow down your options and give you some new ideas.
Experiment with different colors
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different colors before making a final decision. Consider getting small samples of deck stain or paint and testing them on a small, inconspicuous area of your deck.
See how the colors look in different lighting conditions and take your time to make sure you’re happy with the final result.
Consult a professional
If you’re still uncertain about choosing a deck color or if you want expert advice, consider consulting with a professional designer or landscaping expert.
They can offer guidance based on their experience and help you select a deck color that will best suit your home and outdoor space.
Remember, choosing the right deck color can transform your outdoor living space and make it a fabulous extension of your home. Take your time, consider all the elements, and trust your instincts to create a deck color that you love.
Should house and deck be the same color
When it comes to choosing the color for your house and deck, there are different factors to consider. Some homeowners prefer a cohesive look that ties the house and deck together, while others prefer a contrasting or complementary color scheme.
Creating a cohesive look
If you want your house and deck to have a unified appearance, choosing the same color can help achieve this. It adds to the overall beauty of your outdoor space and gives a sense of harmony. This approach works well if you have a small deck or if you want your deck to blend in with the rest of your home’s exterior.
Contrasting or complementary color scheme
On the other hand, some homeowners prefer a contrasting or complementary color scheme for their house and deck. This can create a more modern and vibrant look. For example, if your house exterior is white, you could choose a darker deck color such as a deep brown or gray. This contrast can add visual interest and make both elements stand out.
Another way to achieve a contrasting or complementary look is by choosing a different color for the deck railing. For instance, if your house is painted in shades of gray, you could opt for a white railing on the deck. This creates a subtle contrast while still maintaining a cohesive overall appearance.
Matching the outdoor surroundings
The choice of color for your deck may also depend on the nature and surroundings of your outdoor living space. If you have a lot of greenery, such as trees, bushes, and flowers, you could consider staining or painting your deck in shades of green to blend in with the natural environment.
Alternatively, if you have a contemporary or modern style home, you could choose a bold and vibrant color for your deck to add a pop of color to your outdoor space. This can be achieved by using bright reds, blues, or yellows that create an eye-catching contrast against the neutral tones of the house exterior.
Consulting a designer or color expert
If you’re unsure about which color scheme to choose for your house and deck, consulting a designer or color expert can be helpful. They can provide guidance and suggestions based on your preferences and the overall style of your home. They can also help you consider other elements such as the color of your furniture, cushions, and even the flooring.
Ultimately, the choice of whether your house and deck should be the same color or not depends on your personal preferences and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve. Whether you decide to create a cohesive look or opt for a contrasting color scheme, the key is to choose colors that make you feel happy and satisfied with your outdoor space.