When it comes to bedroom design, most experts agree that the box spring is not the most aesthetically pleasing element. However, with the help of some creative ideas, you can easily conceal it and transform your sleep space into a stylish sanctuary.
Editor Ashley Arsight, from the lifestyle blog “Simple Living,” finds that oversized box springs can be a design challenge. One of her favorite options is to incorporate a decorative skirt into the overall bedding scheme. This soft fabric can not only hide the box spring but also create a visually appealing look.
“When creating a hiding solution for a box spring, you’re not limited to only skirts,” says designer Artem Skirtov. “Consider using bamboo or aged wood to wrap the frame, or even an adjustable bed base for added functionality.” With the latest design trends leaning towards natural materials, these options can help you create a more harmonious and visually pleasing bedroom.
Chantelle Malarkey, a well-known designer, suggests using bold colors and patterns to draw the eye away from the box spring. By selecting vibrant bedding or utilizing a statement headboard, you can divert attention and focus on other design elements in the room.
For those who love organization and storage, designer Ashley Arsenton recommends using the box spring as an opportunity to create hidden storage space. “You can opt for a box spring that comes with built-in drawers or customize yours to have compartments underneath. This way, you can keep your bedroom clutter-free while hiding the box spring at the same time,” explains Arsenton.
In conclusion, these creative ideas from design experts can help you find the best way to hide your box spring and elevate the overall look of your bedroom. Whether you prefer a simple skirt, bold colors, or functional storage, there is a solution that will suit your style and help you create the bedroom of your dreams.
How to hide a box spring
If you’re looking for creative ways to hide a box spring, there are various options available to you. Design experts have come up with innovative ideas that can help you conceal your box spring and create a visually appealing bedroom. Here are five suggestions:
1. Bed Skirts: One of the simplest and most common ways to hide a box spring is by using a bed skirt. Bed skirts are fabric panels that wrap around the sides of your mattress and box spring, providing a decorative cover. They come in a variety of colors and styles, allowing you to choose one that matches your overall bedroom decor.
2. Storage Options: Some box springs come with built-in storage options that allow you to maximize your space. These storage solutions can include drawers or shelves where you can store extra bedding or other items. This is a great option if you have a smaller bedroom and need more storage.
3. Adjustable Bed Frames: Another option for concealing your box spring is by using an adjustable bed frame. These frames can be adjusted to different heights, allowing you to hide your box spring. They’re also a great choice if you prefer a softer or more oversized mattress.
4. Bamboo Box Spring Cover: A bamboo box spring cover is a unique option for hiding your box spring. Bamboo fabric is known for its softness and durability, making it a great choice for a box spring cover. It can also give your bedroom a more natural and eco-friendly feel.
5. DIY Solutions: If you’re feeling creative, you can explore DIY solutions for hiding your box spring. Some ideas include using fabric, curtains, or even repurposing an old piece of furniture to create a custom cover for your box spring. This allows you to be more hands-on in creating a hiding solution that fits your personal style and taste.
Remember, when choosing a method for hiding your box spring, consider your lifestyle, space constraints, and overall design scheme. Different options work better for different homes, so take your time to find the best solution for you. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to consult a designer or editor for help.
Artwork by Anand Arsyight (arsight.com), Artem Chantelle (acreativo.net/chantelledesign).
1 Create a custom wrap or cover
If you’re looking for creative ideas to hide your box spring, creating a custom wrap or cover is one option that design experts love. Not only will it help conceal the box spring, but it can also add a visually appealing element to your bedroom.
When it comes to creating a custom wrap or cover, there are several choices you can consider. For a more minimalist look, you can opt for a simple fabric wrap that matches your overall color scheme. This choice allows you to keep the focus on other elements in your bedroom while still hiding the box spring.
If you’re more into patterns and textures, a skirted cover is a great option. This type of cover features a fabric skirt that drapes around the box spring, giving it a soft and elegant look. Depending on your personal style and the overall aesthetic of your bedroom, you can choose from a wide range of fabric options, including bamboo, aged leather, or even bold prints.
To create a custom wrap or cover, you can either purchase one from a retailer or DIY it. If you’re handy with a sewing machine, you can find patterns and tutorials online to guide you through the process. This allows you to choose the fabric, design, and size that best suits your needs and preferences.
Design experts like Ashley Arsight and Artem Malarkey suggest that creating a custom wrap or cover is not only a practical option for hiding the box spring, but it also allows you to incorporate your personal style into your bedroom decor. They believe that the visual impact of a well-designed cover can completely transform the look of the space, making it more aesthetically pleasing.
So next time you’re looking to hide your box spring, consider creating a custom wrap or cover. It’s a simple, yet effective option that can enhance the overall design of your bedroom and create a cohesive look.
2 Cover with bed linens
One of the simplest and most popular options for hiding a box spring is to cover it with bed linens. This method allows you to easily conceal the box spring while adding a touch of style to your bedroom decor. Here are some ideas and tips to help you create a visually appealing look:
- Choose the right fabric: When selecting the fabric for your bed linens, consider the overall design scheme of your bedroom. Opt for soft and luxurious materials like cotton, linen, or bamboo that will create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Work with colors and patterns: Match the colors and patterns of your bed linens to the rest of your bedroom decor. Whether you prefer bold and vibrant hues or subtle and neutral tones, find a fabric that complements the overall aesthetic of your space.
- Consider an oversized option: If you have an oversized box spring, consider using an oversized bed linen to ensure full coverage. This will not only conceal the box spring, but also create a visually pleasing and well-proportioned look.
- Wrap the box spring: To create a more seamless and tailored appearance, consider wrapping the box spring with the bed linen rather than just placing it on top. This will help to hide any aged or damaged areas of the box spring and give a cleaner, more polished finish.
- Add a bed skirt: If you prefer a more traditional look, consider adding a bed skirt to your bed linens. A bed skirt can help to further conceal the box spring while adding an extra layer of visual interest to your bed.
- Use decorative pillows: Incorporating decorative pillows into your bedding can help to draw attention away from the box spring. Choose pillows that match your overall design scheme and arrange them in a way that directs the focus towards the headboard and mattress.
- Consider adjustable bed frame options: If you’re looking for a more versatile solution, consider investing in an adjustable bed frame. These frames can be raised or lowered to hide the box spring completely or partially, depending on your preference.
- Utilize underbed storage: If you’re lacking storage space in your bedroom, take advantage of the space beneath your bed. Choose bed linens with built-in storage options, such as bed skirts with pockets or fabric bins, to maximize the functionality of your bed.
Overall, covering your box spring with bed linens is a practical and aesthetically pleasing way to hide it. Whether you prefer a simple and minimalist look or a more decorative and elaborate style, there are endless options to choose from. Just remember to consider your own personal taste, the overall design scheme of your bedroom, and the level of concealment you desire.
3 Upholster your box spring
If you want a simple and visually appealing way to hide your box spring, consider upholstering it. This method involves covering the box spring with fabric, creating a seamless and cohesive look with your mattress and bedding. Not only does this help in concealing the box spring, but it also adds a touch of elegance to your bedroom.
There are a few different ways you can upholster your box spring to achieve the desired look. One option is to wrap the fabric tightly around the box spring and staple it in place. This creates a clean and tailored appearance. Another choice is to use an oversized fabric skirt that drapes over the box spring, giving it a softer and more relaxed look.
When selecting the fabric for upholstery, consider the overall color scheme and style of your bedroom. You can choose a fabric that matches your bedding or opt for a bold pattern to add visual interest. Just make sure the fabric is durable and easy to clean.
If you’re not confident in your upholstery skills, you can always hire a professional to do the job for you. They have the expertise to create a flawless and aesthetically pleasing finish.
In addition to hiding your box spring, upholstering it can also provide some practical benefits. The fabric can act as a dust cover, helping to keep your mattress clean and prolong its lifespan. It can also create a bit of extra storage space under your bed, as you can easily slide boxes or bins underneath.
Overall, upholstering your box spring is a great way to hide it and elevate the look of your bedroom. Whether you prefer a simple and clean design or a more detailed and decorative style, this option offers endless possibilities to match your taste and lifestyle.
Remember to always consider the latest design trends and consult with experts like Chantelle and Ashley from Arsight Design Studio before submitting to any specific idea. They can help you find the best ways to incorporate this technique into your home’s decor.
4 Add a bed skirt
Another option for concealing your box spring is to add a bed skirt. Bed skirts are a simple and visually appealing way to hide the box spring and create an overall soft and finished look for your bed.
Bed skirts come in a variety of styles, colors, and fabrics, so you can easily find one that matches your bedding and decor. Whether you prefer a classic, pleated bed skirt or a more modern, tailored one, there are plenty of options to choose from.
If you’re looking for a functional option, consider an adjustable bed skirt. These bed skirts are designed to wrap around an oversized or adjustable bed frame, creating a seamless and tailored look. They also provide storage space under the bed, which can be useful for storing extra bedding or other items.
Adding a bed skirt not only helps with hiding the box spring, but it can also help create a cohesive and visually pleasing sleep space. By choosing a bed skirt that complements your mattress and bedding, you can create a harmonious color scheme and overall aesthetic.
Design experts agree that bed skirts are an excellent option for hiding box springs and creating a polished look. They’re also a popular choice among homeowners and designers alike, as they offer a simple and effective solution to an otherwise aesthetically unpleasing aspect of bedroom decor.
So, whether you love the latest trends or prefer more timeless and aged decor, adding a bed skirt can work wonders in hiding your box spring and giving your bed a finished and sophisticated look.
5 Distract the eye
One creative way to hide a box spring is to distract the eye with visually appealing elements. By incorporating other design elements into your bedroom decor, you can draw attention away from the box spring and create a more aesthetically pleasing space.
Here are some ideas from design experts:
- 1. Match bedding and skirt color – Choose bedding and a bed skirt that match the color of your box spring to create a cohesive look. This will help the box spring blend in with the rest of the bed and go unnoticed.
- 2. Use oversized pillows – Oversized pillows can be used to cover the box spring and create a visual distraction. Choose pillows in colors and patterns that complement your overall design scheme.
- 3. Incorporate decorative fabric – Wrap the box spring in a soft fabric, such as bamboo or aged chantelle, that matches the rest of your bedroom decor. This will help to conceal the box spring and give it a more polished look.
- 4. Add a headboard – A headboard can serve as a focal point in the room and draw attention away from the box spring. Choose a headboard that complements your overall design scheme and adds visual interest to the space.
- 5. Create a storage solution – If you have an adjustable bed frame, consider using the space under the box spring for storage. This not only hides the box spring but also provides a practical solution for organizing your belongings.
Remember, when concealing your box spring, it’s important to consider your personal style, lifestyle, and the overall design scheme of your bedroom. By following these tips from design experts, you can transform your box spring from an eyesore into a seamless part of your bedroom decor.
Q: Can I use a box spring with any bed frame?
A: Yes, you can use a box spring with any bed frame. However, some modern bed frames don’t require a box spring and can support a mattress directly.
Q: How do I choose the best option for concealing my box spring?
A: When choosing a scheme to hide your box spring, consider the overall design of your bedroom. You can opt for a bed skirt that matches your bedding or choose a fabric that complements the colors in your room.
Q: Are there any other creative ways to hide a box spring?
A: Yes! Design experts recommend using oversized furniture or storage options to hide your box spring. You can also wrap it in fabric to create a soft and visually pleasing look.
Q: Can I create my own box spring cover?
A: Absolutely! If you’re feeling crafty, you can create your own box spring cover using fabric and a few simple sewing techniques. This allows you to customize the look to match your personal style.
Q: What are some popular trends in box spring hiding?
A: Currently, there is a trend of using adjustable bed frames that eliminate the need for a box spring altogether. Additionally, designers are creating box spring covers that double as storage solutions to maximize space in smaller homes.
Q: How do I submit my ideas for concealing box springs?
A: If you have creative ideas for hiding box springs, you can share them with us by submitting them to our editor. We love featuring the latest design trends and tips from our readers!
Q: Can I use a box spring with an adjustable bed frame?
A: Yes, you can use a box spring with an adjustable bed frame. This choice provides additional support and helps to create a more comfortable sleep environment.
Q: What is the best bedding option to pair with a hidden box spring?
A: When it comes to bedding, the choice is up to you. Some people prefer to use a fitted sheet only, while others love layering multiple blankets and throws for a cozy look. It all depends on your personal style and lifestyle.
Q: Are bed skirts the only option for hiding a box spring?
A: No, bed skirts are not the only option for hiding a box spring. You can use oversized furniture, storage solutions, or even integrate the box spring into the overall design of your bed frame for a creative and unique look.
Q: Can an aged box spring be used for hiding purposes?
A: Yes, an aged box spring can still be used for hiding purposes. You can give it a fresh look by covering it with fabric or using a bed skirt to conceal any signs of wear and tear.
Q: Do I need to follow a specific design scheme when hiding my box spring?
A: There are no specific design rules when it comes to hiding a box spring. You can choose a scheme that matches your overall decor or use it as an opportunity to add a unique visual element to your bedroom.
Q: Can a box spring cover also protect the mattress?
A: While a box spring cover can help protect the box spring itself, it doesn’t provide the same level of protection for the mattress as a mattress protector or encasement. If you’re looking to protect your mattress, it’s best to use a separate mattress cover.
Q: Are there any tips for creating a cohesive look when hiding a box spring?
A: To create a cohesive look, consider using matching colors or fabrics throughout your bedding and box spring cover. This will help tie the design elements together and create a visually pleasing aesthetic.
Q: Can I use a box spring cover with any mattress size?
A: Yes, box spring covers come in various sizes to accommodate different mattress sizes. Whether you have a twin, queen, king, or California king mattress, you can find a box spring cover that fits perfectly.
Q: What is the return policy for box spring covers?
A: The return policy for box spring covers may vary depending on the retailer or brand. It’s always best to check the return policy before making a purchase to ensure you have the option to return or exchange the item if needed.
Q: Can a box spring cover help with noise reduction?
A: While a box spring cover can help reduce noise to some extent, it’s not specifically designed for noise reduction. If noise is a concern, consider using a mattress pad or topper that provides additional cushioning and noise absorption.
How do you hide a box spring without a bed skirt
When it comes to concealing a box spring without the use of a bed skirt, there are several creative options that can help you achieve a visually appealing and cohesive bedroom design. Design experts are constantly staying on top of the latest trends and finding new ways to create a soft and inviting atmosphere in any space. Here are some ideas from the experts:
- 1. Use a fitted sheet: One simple and effective way to hide a box spring is to use a fitted sheet. By selecting a sheet that matches the color scheme of your bedding, you can create a seamless look that complements the overall design of the room. Fitted sheets are also an easy choice for those who prefer a minimalistic aesthetic.
- 2. Utilize oversized pillows: Another option is to use oversized decorative pillows to help conceal the box spring. Placing these pillows along the edge of the bed can create a visually pleasing barrier that hides the box spring while adding a touch of style to the space.
- 3. Opt for a fabric wrap: A fabric wrap is a great choice for those who want to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to their bedroom design. By selecting a high-quality fabric that matches the rest of the bedding, you can wrap the box spring like a present, creating a cohesive and visually pleasing look.
- 4. Consider an adjustable bed frame: If you’re looking for a more permanent solution to hiding your box spring, an adjustable bed frame may be the perfect choice. These frames not only provide added support for your mattress, but they also have the added benefit of concealing the box spring within the frame itself.
- 5. Get creative with storage: If you’re short on space and need to make the most of every inch, consider incorporating hidden storage into your bed frame. There are many bed frame designs available that include built-in drawers or storage compartments, providing a practical solution for hiding your box spring while maximizing your storage capabilities.
Whether you prefer a simple and minimalistic approach or a more elaborate and decorative solution, there are plenty of options available for hiding your box spring without the use of a bed skirt. By considering your personal style, lifestyle, and the overall aesthetic of your bedroom, you can find a creative solution that works best for you. Don’t be afraid to experiment and think outside the box – your bedroom should reflect your unique personality and preferences!