Vastu Shastra, also known as the ‘yoga of design’, is an ancient Indian architectural science that combines principles of design, architecture, and spirituality to create harmonious living spaces. In today’s fast-paced world, where privacy and well-being often take a back seat, incorporating Vastu Shastra into your interiors can help bring balance and prosperity to your home.
Renowned Vastu Shastra designer Benjamin Moore explains that by following Vastu Shastra principles, you can reduce stress, create a clutter-free environment, and improve the overall energy flow in your living spaces. One of the key principles of Vastu Shastra is the attention given to the placement of furniture and objects in a way that allows for maximum natural light and ventilation.
According to Moore, it’s important to design spaces where you spend the most time, like living rooms and bedrooms, in a way that is well-ventilated and allows for the flow of positive energy. He recommends using bright and uplifting colors in these areas to create a sense of positivity and well-being.
Another expert, Prerna Kropovinsky, advises bringing in elements inspired by nature, such as plants and natural materials, to create a sense of harmony and tranquility in your home. She explains that incorporating plants into your interiors not only adds a touch of greenery but also helps to purify the air and create a more peaceful environment.
In addition to these principles, there are several other ways you can adopt Vastu Shastra in your interiors. For example, Moore suggests creating a designated lobby or entrance area that serves as a buffer zone between the outside world and your personal space. This can help create a sense of privacy and protection.
Furthermore, Artem Shui, a renowned designer specializing in Vastu Shastra, recommends keeping your interiors clutter-free and well-organized. He advises paying attention to the placement of furniture and objects to ensure a free flow of energy throughout the space.
Lastly, staying updated with the latest Vastu Shastra trends and design ideas can help you incorporate this ancient science into your interiors in a more modern and contemporary way. By combining the wisdom of Vastu Shastra with the latest design trends, you can create a space that not only looks beautiful but also promotes well-being and prosperity.
What is Vastu Shastra
Vastu Shastra is an ancient Indian science of architecture and design that guides the layout and arrangement of spaces to create harmonious and balanced environments. The word “Vastu” means “dwelling” or “house” in Sanskrit, and “Shastra” means “science” or “knowledge”. This science provides guidelines on how to design spaces that support the well-being and prosperity of the people who live in them.
In Vastu Shastra, each space within a house or building is considered to have a specific energy and purpose. By following the principles of Vastu, one can create a living or working environment that promotes balance, harmony, and positive energy flow.
One of the key principles of Vastu Shastra is to bring natural elements, such as light and air, into the environment. This can be achieved by ensuring that the rooms are well-ventilated and receive ample natural light. It is also recommended to have open spaces and windows positioned in the east to allow for the entry of morning sunlight, which is believed to be highly beneficial.
Vastu Shastra also emphasizes the importance of decluttering and organizing spaces to reduce negative energy and promote a sense of calm and order. It suggests avoiding clutter, unnecessary furniture, and unused items to create a clean and clutter-free environment.
According to Vastu Shastra, the entrance or lobby of a house should be designed in a way that it allows for the free flow of positive energy. It is recommended to have an inviting entrance that is well-lit and aesthetically pleasing, as this is believed to bring prosperity and good fortune.
The placement of plants in the home is another aspect of Vastu Shastra. Plants are thought to bring positive energy and life force into spaces. According to Vastu principles, certain types of plants are considered more beneficial, such as the money plant or bamboo plant. It is advised to avoid placing thorny or cactus plants inside the house.
When it comes to colors, Vastu Shastra suggests using bright and uplifting colors in the living areas, such as the living room and dining room, to create a lively and energetic atmosphere. In bedrooms, calm and soothing colors are recommended to promote relaxation and restful sleep.
According to Prerna Kropovinsky, an interior designer and Vastu expert, “Vastu Shastra is not limited to just designing spaces as per specified rules, but it is also about creating a personalized space which resonates with your own energy and personality.”
Overall, Vastu Shastra provides a comprehensive approach to design and architecture that takes into account the energy flow and balance of a space. By following its principles, one can create a home or workspace that promotes well-being, harmony, and prosperity.
The five elements key to Vastu design
Vastu Shastra, an ancient Indian architectural practice, emphasizes the importance of living in harmony with the five elements – earth, water, fire, air, and space. Incorporating these elements into your interior design can create a space that is balanced, uplifting, and promotes well-being.
Prerna Benjamin, a Vastu Shastra expert, explains that each element has a distinct energy and purpose in Vastu design. By aligning your living spaces with these elements, you can create a more open and vibrant environment.
- Earth: The earth element represents stability and grounding. To incorporate it into your design, use natural materials like wood and stone. Wooden furniture and earthy color palettes can create a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
- Water: Water represents fluidity and abundance. To bring this element into your space, consider adding a small water feature like a fountain or aquarium. You can also use blue and other water-related colors in your decor.
- Fire: Fire represents energy and passion. You can incorporate this element through the use of candles, fireplaces, or even bold red accents in your design. However, be mindful of fire hazards and ensure safety precautions are in place.
- Air: Air represents circulation and movement. To create a well-ventilated and breathable space, ensure proper airflow with open windows and good ventilation. Indoor plants can also help improve air quality.
- Space: Space represents openness and expansion. To create a clutter-free and spacious environment, declutter regularly and use minimalist design principles. Opt for light and airy colors, and avoid overcrowding your space with unnecessary furniture or decor.
In addition to these elements, Vastu Shastra also emphasizes the importance of natural light and privacy in a space. Artem Kropovinsky, a Vastu Shastra designer, advises bringing in ample natural light into your home, but also ensuring privacy by using curtains or blinds. This balance creates a harmonious energy flow throughout the space.
By incorporating these Vastu principles into your interior design, you can create a space that not only looks beautiful but also promotes positive energy, well-being, and prosperity.
How to incorporate Vastu principles
If you’re interested in incorporating Vastu principles into your home or office environment, there are several ways you can do so. Whether you’re a designer looking to bring more harmony to your spaces or just an individual wanting to create a more balanced and uplifting atmosphere, Vastu Shastra has valuable guidelines to offer.
- Start with the basics: According to Vastu principles, the main entrance of a house or office should ideally be in the northeast or east zone. This allows for a flow of positive energy and abundance into the space. So, pay attention to the placement of the entrance in your home or office design.
- Open up the spaces: Vastu Shastra advises creating open and clutter-free spaces in order to promote positive energy flow. This can be achieved by using minimalistic and well-ventilated designs that allow for easy movement and circulation of energy.
- Embrace natural elements: Vastu principles emphasize the importance of connecting with nature. Incorporate natural elements like plants, water features, and natural materials into your design to create a sense of harmony and tranquility.
- Focus on lighting: Vastu Shastra recommends using bright and well-lit spaces to promote positivity and well-being. Make sure to provide ample natural light in your design and consider incorporating artificial lighting sources that mimic natural light.
- Pay attention to privacy: Privacy is an important aspect of Vastu design. Consider the placement of rooms and ensure that private spaces like bedrooms and bathrooms are located in the more secluded areas of the house.
- Stay updated with the latest trends: Vastu Shastra principles can be incorporated into any style or design trend. Stay informed and adapt the principles to fit the latest interior design ideas and trends.
By incorporating Vastu principles into your design, you can create a space that not only looks good but also promotes positive energy, prosperity, and well-being. Whether you’re a designer or an individual looking to improve your living or working conditions, Vastu Shastra offers valuable advice and information.
1 Use bright and uplifting colors
One way to bring positive energy into your interiors is by using bright and uplifting colors. According to Vastu Shastra, colors have the power to influence our emotions and well-being. Choosing the right colors for different areas of your home can help create a harmonious and balanced environment.
In Vastu Shastra, each color is associated with a specific element and has its own significance. For example, the color yellow represents the element of fire and is believed to promote happiness and positivity. Blue, on the other hand, is associated with the element of water and can bring a sense of calmness and tranquility.
To incorporate this principle of Vastu Shastra into your home, you can start by painting your walls in bright and uplifting colors. Consider using shades like yellow, orange, blue, or green to create a vibrant and positive atmosphere. You can also use these colors in your furniture, decor, and accessories to add pops of color throughout your space.
Additionally, bringing plants into your home can also be a great way to introduce bright and uplifting colors. Not only do plants add a natural touch to your interiors, but they also help improve air quality and create a sense of harmony with nature.
When choosing colors for your home, it’s important to consider the function of each room. For instance, in the bedroom, you may want to use calm and soothing colors to promote a good night’s sleep. In the living room, you can use energetic colors to encourage social interaction and creativity.
Prerna Kropovinsky, an interior designer and Vastu Shastra consultant, advises homeowners to pay attention to the lighting conditions in each room as well. She explains that bright and well-ventilated spaces are essential for creating a positive and uplifting environment.
According to Artem V. Moore, a professional designer and expert in Vastu Shastra, colors should also be used to create a sense of privacy and separateness in certain areas of your home. For example, the lobby or entrance area should have neutral and calming colors to create a welcoming and peaceful atmosphere.
Incorporating Vastu Shastra principles into your interior design can not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of your home but also promote overall well-being and prosperity. So, why not try using bright and uplifting colors in your home to create a positive and harmonious living environment?
2 Keep the center of your home clutter-free
In Vastu Shastra, the center of the home is considered to be a sacred space that connects all the different areas of the house. It acts as a central zone that brings harmony and balance to the energy flow in the house. To keep this energy flow uninterrupted, it is important to keep the center of your home clutter-free.
Clutter can disrupt the flow of energy and create stagnant or negative energy in your home. It can also make the space feel cramped and congested. According to Vastu Shastra, a clutter-free center of the home allows positive energy to circulate freely, leading to a healthier and more uplifting environment.
To create a clutter-free center, start by decluttering the area and removing any unnecessary items. Keep the space open and well-ventilated to allow for the free flow of energy. Avoid placing heavy furniture or objects in this area, as they can obstruct the energy flow.
Additionally, you can incorporate elements of feng shui into your home’s center to enhance the energy flow. Consider adding plants or bright colors to bring in more natural light and positive energy. Artem Kropovinsky, a Vastu Shastra expert and designer, advises keeping the center of the home well-lit to uplift the mood and reduce any feelings of heaviness.
Prerna Benjamin, an interior designer and Vastu Shastra consultant, explains that a clutter-free center can have a significant impact on your well-being and overall prosperity. She suggests using the center as a lobby or a gathering area, where you can create a welcoming and peaceful scene for guests and family members to enjoy.
To sum up, keeping the center of your home clutter-free is an important aspect of Vastu Shastra. By paying attention to this area and following the ancient principles, you can bring harmony and prosperity into your home. Incorporating feng shui elements and creating a well-ventilated and well-lit space can further enhance the positive energy flow. Follow these tips to create a clutter-free and uplifting environment in your home.
3 Display lucky artwork
Displaying lucky artwork in your home can help attract positive energy and bring prosperity into your space. According to Vastu Shastra, certain artwork and images can create a harmonious and uplifting atmosphere in your interiors.
One way to incorporate lucky artwork into your home is by choosing pieces that depict scenes from nature, such as landscapes, plants, or animals. These types of artwork can bring a sense of serenity and connection to the natural world.
Another idea is to display artwork that features bright and vibrant colors. Colors like red, yellow, and orange are believed to bring prosperity and good luck. You can choose paintings or photographs that have these colors as the dominant hues.
It is also important to pay attention to the placement of the artwork. According to Vastu Shastra principles, the artwork should be positioned in a well-lit and well-ventilated area. Avoid placing artwork in dark or cluttered spaces, as this can create negative energy.
Prerna Benjamin, a designer and Vastu expert, advises that artwork should be displayed in the east or north zones of the house for maximum benefits. These areas are associated with prosperity and bring positive energy into your home.
Artem Kropovinsky, an architect and Vastu practitioner, suggests that displaying artwork in the lobby or entrance of your home can help create a welcoming and positive environment. It can also be a good idea to place artwork in areas where you spend a lot of time, such as the living room or bedroom.
In addition to choosing the right artwork, it is also important to consider the condition of the artwork itself. Make sure that the artwork is in good condition and free from any damage or negative symbols.
By following these Vastu Shastra principles and incorporating lucky artwork into your interiors, you can create a space that is not only visually appealing but also promotes well-being and prosperity.
4 Follow directional alignment
In Vastu Shastra, directional alignment plays a crucial role in creating a harmonious and balanced environment in your home. Similar to Feng Shui, Vastu Shastra believes that different directions correspond to specific elements and energies, and aligning your interiors accordingly can bring positive energy and prosperity into your space.
To follow directional alignment, consider the following principles:
- East: The east direction is associated with the element of light and is considered to be the zone of prosperity. To enhance positive energy, ensure that your east-facing rooms are well-lit and bright. You can also incorporate warm colors and use natural light as much as possible in these spaces.
- West: The west direction is associated with the element of water and represents privacy and relaxation. It is advisable to have your bedrooms or private spaces in the west direction of your home. You can create a calming and uplifting atmosphere by incorporating soothing colors, comfortable furnishings, and elements of water, like a small indoor fountain.
- North: The north direction is associated with the element of air and represents opportunities and growth. Suitable for study rooms or career-related spaces, ensure that your north-facing rooms are well-ventilated and clutter-free. You can decorate these areas with inspiring and motivational artwork.
- South: The south direction is associated with the element of fire and represents fame and recognition. This direction is ideal for a living room or a vibrant social space. Use warm and bold colors here, like red or orange, to create an energizing and inviting atmosphere.
Prerna Kropovinsky, an interior designer, explains, “Following directional alignment in Vastu Shastra brings harmony and balance to your living space. By considering the different elements associated with each direction, you can create a home that promotes well-being and prosperity.”
By incorporating these Vastu Shastra principles into your interiors, you can create a space that is not only visually appealing but also promotes positive energy and a sense of well-being. So, pay attention to the directional alignment and bring Vastu Shastra into your home to create a harmonious environment.
5 Keep your space well-ventilated
One important aspect of creating a harmonious and positive energy in your home according to Vastu Shastra is to ensure that your space is well-ventilated. Good ventilation allows for a healthy flow of air and energy, which is vital for creating a positive atmosphere.
When designing your home, pay attention to the placement and size of windows and doors. Make sure they are strategically positioned to allow for the free flow of air and natural light. This will not only keep your space fresh and inviting, but it will also help to improve your overall well-being.
In addition to windows and doors, consider incorporating other elements that can enhance ventilation in your home. This could include the installation of ceiling fans or the use of air purifiers to maintain clean and fresh air quality.
Not only does proper ventilation improve the overall energy of a space, but it also helps to reduce stagnant or negative energy that may accumulate in your home. By allowing fresh air to circulate, you can create a more uplifting and vibrant atmosphere.
Furthermore, a well-ventilated space can also have practical benefits. It can help to regulate temperatures, reduce the build-up of odors, and prevent dampness or mold from forming. All of these factors contribute to a healthier and more comfortable living environment.
Overall, keeping your space well-ventilated is a simple yet effective way to incorporate the principles of Vastu Shastra into your home design. By paying attention to airflow and taking steps to maximize ventilation, you can create a space that promotes positivity, harmony, and well-being.
6 Use plants and wind chimes
Adding plants and wind chimes to your interior design can enhance the harmony and positive energy in your home, according to the principles of Vastu Shastra. Plants bring nature into your living spaces and create a sense of well-being. Choose plants that are easy to maintain and keep them well-ventilated and clutter-free.
Wind chimes, on the other hand, create a pleasant and uplifting sound that can soothe the mind and reduce stress. Hang wind chimes near windows or doorways to invite positive energy into your home.
According to Prerna Moore, a Vastu Shastra consultant, plants and wind chimes can also be used strategically to create zones of privacy and attention in your home. For example, placing plants in the lobby or entrance area can create a welcoming and inviting atmosphere for guests.
When choosing plants for your home, consider the specific conditions of your space. Some plants thrive in bright, well-lit areas, while others prefer indirect or low light. To create a balanced and harmonious environment, consider using a variety of plants with different colors, shapes, and sizes.
In addition to adding plants and wind chimes, you can also incorporate other elements of nature into your interior design. Benjamin Kropovinsky, a designer and Vastu Shastra expert, suggests incorporating water features, such as fountains or aquariums, to bring a sense of calm and tranquility to your home.
By following these Vastu Shastra principles and incorporating plants, wind chimes, and other elements of nature into your interior design, you can create a space that promotes well-being, harmony, and prosperity.
1. What is Vastu Shastra?
Vastu Shastra is an ancient Indian architectural science that focuses on creating harmony and balance in the environment. It is often referred to as the “yoga of design” because it aims to bring the principles of yoga and meditation into the design of homes and spaces.
2. How can Vastu Shastra be applied to interior design?
Vastu Shastra can be applied to interior design in various ways. Some key principles include:
- Ensuring the house is well-ventilated and clutter-free, as this helps to reduce negative energy and create a positive environment.
- Using bright and uplifting colors in the interiors, such as shades of white, yellow, and green.
- Placing plants in the house to bring the energy of nature indoors.
- Creating separate zones for different activities, such as a lobby for welcoming guests and a quiet space for meditation.
- Providing ample light and privacy in the house, taking into consideration the direction of the sun.
3. Can Vastu Shastra principles be applied to all types of homes?
Yes, Vastu Shastra principles can be applied to all types of homes, regardless of their size or design. The key is to adapt the principles to fit the specific conditions and requirements of each house.
4. Can Vastu Shastra principles be combined with other design trends, such as Feng Shui?
Yes, Vastu Shastra principles can be combined with other design trends, such as Feng Shui. Both Vastu Shastra and Feng Shui aim to create harmony and balance in the environment, so they can complement each other well.
5. Can Vastu Shastra principles bring prosperity and well-being?
Yes, Vastu Shastra principles are believed to bring prosperity and well-being when applied correctly. By creating a harmonious and balanced environment, Vastu Shastra can help to enhance positive energy and attract prosperity.
6. Should I hire a Vastu Shastra consultant or designer to apply these principles?
While it is not necessary to hire a Vastu Shastra consultant or designer, their expertise can be helpful in applying these principles effectively. A Vastu Shastra consultant or designer can provide specific advice and ideas tailored to your home and its surroundings.
Where should you keep your money in your home according to vastu
According to Vastu Shastra, the ancient Indian science of architecture, the placement of money in your home can have a significant impact on your financial well-being. By following specific guidelines, you can create a positive and prosperous environment that attracts wealth and abundance.
Here are some expert tips on where and how to keep your money according to Vastu:
- The north or east zone: According to Vastu principles, the north and east zones of your home are considered the most favorable for keeping money. These directions are associated with prosperity and abundance. It is recommended to place your cash, wallets, or safes in these areas to attract wealth.
- The main entrance or lobby: The main entrance or lobby area of your home is also an auspicious place to keep your money. It is believed that money placed here will generate positive energy and attract more wealth into your life.
- Avoid clutter and keep it organized: It is essential to keep your money area clean, clutter-free, and well-organized. Clutter can create stagnant energy and block the flow of prosperity. Keep your bills, coins, and financial documents neatly arranged to enhance positive energy.
- Choose uplifting colors: Colors can influence our mood and energy. According to Vastu, using bright and uplifting colors in your money area can attract positive vibrations and enhance your financial well-being. Colors like green, blue, purple, and gold are considered auspicious for attracting wealth.
- Add plants and light: Plants and light are known to bring positive energy and prosperity into a space. Placing indoor plants like money plants or bamboo plants near your money area can help to increase financial abundance. Additionally, ensuring that the area is well-lit with natural or artificial light will create a vibrant and prosperous environment.
- Follow the latest trends and design principles: Incorporating the latest design trends and principles can also help create a harmonious and prosperous money area. Pay attention to contemporary design ideas like minimalism, open spaces, and well-ventilated rooms. Utilize decor elements like mirrors, crystals, and fountains to enhance the flow of positive energy.
Following Vastu principles for your money area can contribute to a harmonious and uplifting environment that supports your financial well-being. By implementing these guidelines, you can create a space that not only attracts wealth but also promotes overall prosperity and abundance in your life.