If you’re a fan of wings, but don’t want the deep fried mess that comes with traditional frying, then cooking them in an air fryer is the best choice for you. Air fryers are a great way to make crispy and delicious wings without all the extra oil. Plus, they cook wings more evenly and through, so you don’t have to worry about undercooking them.
Before you start cooking, be sure to season your wings with your choice of spices. Whether you like them spicy with a kick of cayenne, or more on the mild side with some garlic and paprika, seasonings are key to adding flavor to your wings. You can also coat them in a delicious sauce after they’re cooked if you prefer.
One of the best things about cooking wings in an air fryer is that you don’t have to deal with the messy oil and splattering that comes with deep frying. Simply spray the basket of your air fryer with a non-stick cooking spray, place the wings in a single layer, and let the fryer do its magic. The hot air circulates around the wings, cooking them to a crispy perfection.
Once your wings are done cooking, serve them hot with your favorite side dish. Whether it’s some crispy fries, a fresh salad, or even some homemade French fries, there’s no wrong choice. The crispy skin and juicy meat of the wings will leave you wanting more, and you’ll be amazed at just how delicious they are.
If you don’t have an air fryer yet, there are plenty of options available. Check out popular brands like Philips, Cuisinart, Ninja, and more on websites like Amazon. With an air fryer, you can enjoy all your favorite fried foods without the guilt, mess, and hassle of deep frying.
How to make chicken wings in an air fryer
Chicken wings are a classic and delicious choice for any occasion. Whether you want to enjoy them as a main course, an appetizer, or a game day snack, cooking them in an air fryer is a great way to achieve crispy and flavorful results. Here’s how you can make the best chicken wings in an air fryer:
- Season the wings: Start by seasoning the chicken wings with your choice of seasonings. You can use a simple combination of salt, pepper, and garlic powder or get creative with your favorite spices.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes. This will ensure that the wings cook evenly and become crispy.
- Spray the air fryer basket: Lightly spray the air fryer basket with cooking oil or use a non-stick cooking spray. This will prevent the wings from sticking to the basket during cooking.
- Place the wings in the air fryer: Arrange the seasoned chicken wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure they are not overlapping to ensure even cooking.
- Cook the wings: Cook the wings in the air fryer for about 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. This will ensure that they are cooked through and crispy on all sides.
- Crispy skin: If you prefer extra crispy wings, you can increase the cooking time by a few minutes or use the air fryer’s “crisp” function if available.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the wings are cooked to perfection, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool for a few minutes. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauces, such as ranch or blue cheese, and enjoy!
Using an air fryer to make chicken wings is a healthier alternative to deep frying. The air fryer circulates hot air around the food, cooking it evenly and giving it that crispy texture without the need for excessive oil. So go ahead and try making your favorite side dish with an air fryer – you won’t be disappointed!
- Choice of chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon of French fry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray
To make the best chicken wings in an air fryer, you’ll need a few key ingredients. First and foremost, you’ll need some chicken wings. You can choose to buy pre-cut wings from your local grocery store, or you can leave them whole and cut them yourself.
Next, you’ll want to season your chicken wings with a combination of French fry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. This will give them a delicious flavor that pairs perfectly with the crispy skin that the air fryer creates.
Before cooking your chicken wings, it’s a good idea to spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. This will prevent the wings from sticking and ensure that they cook evenly.
Once your air fryer is preheated and your chicken wings are seasoned, you can place them in the basket. Make sure not to overcrowd the basket, as this can lead to uneven cooking. Instead, fry the wings in batches if necessary.
Set the air fryer to the recommended temperature and cooking time for chicken wings. Cooking times may vary depending on the brand and model of your air fryer, so be sure to follow the instructions provided with your specific appliance.
While the chicken wings are cooking, you can prepare any dipping sauces or sides that you’d like to serve with them. Some popular options include ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, barbecue sauce, or buffalo sauce.
Once the wings are done cooking, carefully remove them from the air fryer. The skin should be crispy and golden brown, and the meat should be cooked through.
Serve your delicious air fryer chicken wings with your favorite dipping sauces and enjoy!
1 Prep your wings
Before you start cooking your chicken wings in an air fryer, there are a few things you need to do to prepare them. Follow these steps to ensure you end up with the best-tasting and crispiest wings:
- Leave the skin on: The skin is what gets crispy and delicious in the air fryer, so make sure to keep it on the wings.
- Season to your taste: Whether you like them spicy, savory, or sweet, season your wings with your favorite blend of spices. You can use store-bought seasoning mixes or make your own using herbs and spices from your pantry.
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions: For an extra crunch and flavor, consider coating your wings with crushed French’s Crispy Fried Onions. These crispy onions will add a unique twist to your wings and make them even more delicious.
- Mission Gardens Wing Sauce: If you prefer your wings saucy, you can toss them in Mission Gardens Wing Sauce after they’re done cooking. This sauce comes in different flavors, so choose the one that suits your taste buds the best.
- Give the wings a quick spray: To ensure that the skin gets crispy all the way through, give your wings a quick spray with cooking oil. This will help the air fryer to evenly cook the wings and give you a crispy skin.
By following these prep steps, you’ll be well on your way to cooking crispy and delicious chicken wings in your air fryer. Get creative with your seasonings and sauces, and enjoy your favorite side dish without the mess and hassle of deep frying!
2 Pre-heat the air fryer
Before you start cooking your chicken wings in the air fryer, it is important to pre-heat it. Pre-heating the air fryer ensures that your wings cook evenly and become crispy.
To pre-heat the air fryer, follow these steps:
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray to prevent the wings from sticking.
- Set the temperature on the air fryer to the recommended temperature for cooking chicken wings, usually around 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn on the air fryer and let it pre-heat for a few minutes.
While the air fryer is pre-heating, you can season your chicken wings with your choice of spices. Some popular seasonings for chicken wings include salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. You can also marinate the wings in your favorite sauce for extra flavor.
Once the air fryer is pre-heated, place the chicken wings in the basket in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. This allows the hot air to circulate around the wings, ensuring they cook evenly and become crispy.
Cook the wings in the air fryer for about 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through to ensure even cooking. The exact cooking time may vary depending on the size of your wings and the specific air fryer model you are using, so it’s best to keep an eye on them as they cook.
Once the wings are cooked through and have a golden brown crispy skin, remove them from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
Now that you know how to pre-heat the air fryer and cook the wings, you can enjoy your delicious and crispy chicken wings as a perfect side dish for any meal!
3 Cook the chicken wings
Once your chicken wings are seasoned to perfection, it’s time to cook them in the air fryer. Cooking chicken wings in an air fryer is the best way to achieve a crispy and delicious result without the need for deep frying.
Here’s how to cook your chicken wings in the air fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- Place the seasoned chicken wings in the air fryer basket, making sure to leave space between each wing.
- Close the air fryer and cook the wings for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are cooked through and the skin is crispy.
- If you want your wings even crispier, you can spray them with a bit of cooking oil using a spray bottle or cooking spray.
- Once the chicken wings are cooked, carefully remove them from the air fryer using tongs or a fork.
- Let the wings cool for a few minutes before serving.
Now that your chicken wings are cooked to perfection, you can serve them as is or toss them in your favorite sauce. Some popular choices include buffalo sauce, BBQ sauce, or a tangy teriyaki glaze. Pair your crispy chicken wings with some french fries or a fresh garden salad for a delicious meal.
Enjoy your homemade chicken wings without the hassle and mess of deep frying. Air fryers are a game-changer when it comes to cooking crispy and flavorful wings!
4 Remove and serve
Once your chicken wings are cooked to perfection in the air fryer, it’s time to remove them and serve them up!
Using tongs or a spatula, carefully remove the chicken wings from the air fryer basket. Be cautious as the fryer and the wings themselves may still be hot.
Place the cooked wings on a serving platter lined with paper towels. This will help absorb any excess oil and prevent them from getting soggy.
Allow the wings to cool for a few minutes before serving to avoid burning your fingers. Remember, they will be piping hot!
For an extra crispy finish, you can give the wings a light spray of cooking oil or brush them with your favorite sauce. This will enhance the flavor and make the skin even crispier.
If you prefer a saucy option, toss the wings in your choice of sauce. Some popular options include buffalo, BBQ, teriyaki, or honey garlic.
Finally, it’s time to dig in! Serve the crispy chicken wings alongside your favorite dipping sauces or as part of a larger meal. They make a fantastic appetizer or main dish.
Enjoy your delicious homemade air-fried chicken wings!
Here are some frequently asked questions about cooking chicken wings in an air fryer.
Can I deep fry chicken wings in an air fryer?
No, you cannot deep fry chicken wings in an air fryer. Air fryers use hot air to cook food, so it doesn’t require a lot of oil like traditional deep frying.
Do I need to spray the chicken wings with oil before air frying?
Yes, it’s best to lightly spray the chicken wings with oil before air frying. This helps to achieve a crispy outer skin.
How long does it take to cook chicken wings in an air fryer?
The cooking time can vary depending on the size and thickness of the chicken wings. On average, it takes about 20-25 minutes at 400°F for the chicken wings to cook through and become crispy.
Do I need to season the chicken wings before air frying?
Yes, it’s recommended to season the chicken wings with your choice of seasonings before air frying. This helps to enhance the flavor of the chicken wings.
Can I cook other things besides chicken wings in an air fryer?
Yes, air fryers can cook a variety of foods including french fries, vegetables, and even desserts like donuts. The possibilities are endless!
How do I achieve crispy skin on the chicken wings?
To achieve crispy skin on the chicken wings, make sure to pat them dry before seasoning and lightly spray them with oil before air frying. This helps to create a crispy texture.
Is using an air fryer less messy than traditional frying?
Yes, using an air fryer is generally less messy compared to traditional frying. There is no oil splattering or large amounts of oil to deal with. However, there may still be some oil residue that accumulates on the air fryer basket and tray.
How long does it take to cook chicken wings in an air fryer?
If you’re a fan of delicious and crispy chicken wings but don’t want to deal with the hassle of deep frying, an air fryer is the perfect choice for you. Air fryers are a great way to achieve that crispy texture without the need for excess oil, making them a healthier and more convenient option for cooking wings.
Chicken wings cooked in an air fryer typically take about 20-25 minutes to cook. However, the exact cooking time may vary depending on your specific air fryer model and the size of the wings. It’s always best to refer to the instructions that come with your air fryer for specific cooking times and temperatures.
To cook chicken wings in an air fryer, start by preheating the air fryer to the recommended temperature (usually around 400°F/200°C). While the air fryer is preheating, season your wings with your choice of seasonings. You can keep it simple with just salt and pepper or get creative with marinades and rubs.
Once the air fryer is preheated, place the chicken wings in the fryer basket in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd the basket. Overcrowding can prevent the wings from cooking through evenly and may result in less crispy skin.
Cook the wings for about 20-25 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking process to ensure even browning. The air fryer’s circulating hot air will cook the wings thoroughly and help achieve that crispy texture we all love.
When the cooking time is up, remove the wings from the air fryer and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute and ensures the wings are tender and moist.
Now that you know how long it takes to cook chicken wings in an air fryer, you can enjoy this tasty and satisfying dish without the mess and added calories of traditional frying. Serve your perfectly cooked wings with your favorite dipping sauces or enjoy them as is for a healthier twist on a classic favorite.
Should I flour my chicken wings before air frying
When it comes to cooking chicken wings in an air fryer, there are a few different techniques you can try. One question that often comes up is whether or not to flour the wings before air frying them.
Flouring your chicken wings before air frying can have its benefits. The flour helps to create a crispy, golden-brown exterior on the wings, similar to deep frying. It also helps to seal in the juices, keeping the meat tender and flavorful.
However, flouring the wings can be a messy process. If you’re not careful, you can end up with flour all over your kitchen and countertops. To minimize the mess, try using a spray bottle to lightly coat the wings with flour instead of dredging them in a bowl.
If you choose to flour your chicken wings, it’s important to season them well before air frying. You can use a simple combination of salt, pepper, and your favorite spices, or get creative with different seasonings like garlic powder, paprika, or cayenne pepper.
But what if you don’t want to deal with the hassle of flouring your wings? The good news is that you can still achieve crispy, delicious chicken wings without flour. Simply season the wings with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices, and place them directly into the air fryer.
With or without flour, cooking chicken wings in an air fryer is a healthier alternative to deep frying. The air fryer uses hot air circulation to cook your wings, resulting in a crispy skin and tender meat. Plus, it requires less oil than traditional deep frying, making it a better choice for those watching their calorie intake.
If you’re in the market for an air fryer, there are many options to choose from. You can find a variety of air fryers on popular online retailers like Amazon, or check out brands like Philips, Ninja, or Farberware.
In conclusion, whether or not to flour your chicken wings before air frying is a personal preference. Flouring the wings can create a crispy, golden-brown exterior, but it can also be a messy process. Seasoning the wings well is key to achieving delicious results, no matter which method you choose. So go ahead and experiment with different techniques to find the best way to enjoy crispy, flavorful chicken wings in your air fryer.
Why are my wings not crispy in an air fryer
One of the most common frustrations when cooking chicken wings in an air fryer is when they don’t come out as crispy as you would like them to be. However, there are several reasons why this might happen. Here are some possible explanations:
- Your seasoning: It’s important to season your wings properly before cooking them. If you don’t use enough seasoning or if you use a seasoning that doesn’t add crunch, your wings may not turn out crispy.
- Skipping the skin: The skin on chicken wings is what gives them that delicious crispy texture. If you remove the skin or cook wings that don’t have skin, they won’t turn out as crispy.
- Messy air fryer: If your air fryer is messy or has a lot of built-up grease, it can affect the air circulation and prevent your wings from getting crispy. Make sure to clean your air fryer regularly.
- Not preheating the air fryer: Preheating your air fryer before cooking the wings is important because it allows the hot air to circulate properly. Skipping this step can result in wings that are not as crispy.
- Cooking time and temperature: Cooking wings at a too low temperature or for too short of a time can result in wings that are not crispy. Experiment with different cooking times and temperatures to find the perfect balance for your air fryer.
To ensure your wings come out crispy in an air fryer, try the following tips:
- Pat dry the wings: Before seasoning them, make sure to pat the wings dry with a paper towel. This will help remove any excess moisture, allowing the skin to crisp up better.
- Use a light coat of oil: Instead of deep frying the wings, you can use a light coat of oil or cooking spray to help crisp up the skin. Be careful not to use too much oil, as this can make the wings greasy.
- Toss the wings halfway through: To ensure even cooking and crispy skin, toss the wings halfway through the cooking process. This will allow all sides of the wings to crisp up evenly.
By following these tips and experimenting with different cooking times and temperatures, you should be able to achieve crispy and delicious chicken wings in your air fryer. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!